Shift switch interrupter test

bimar21

Cadet
Trying to test the shift switch on my 1990 Evinrude 200 outboard. I understand it should test just like an on/off switch, if depressed it should show continuity basically grounding the power-pack and open if not depressed. My question is, should it read on a DMM just an infinite(open) when not depressed? I'm measuring a little more that 550 ohms and not an open reading, if I depress the switch it do show continuity. Is this measurement indicating a faulty switch?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift switch interrupter test

Sounds like the switch is bad.

bimar21

Cadet
Re: Shift switch interrupter test

I have been looking at different sites for this switch 584011 (ebay, etc.), does anyone knows if most of the Evinrude/Johnson outboards in the range of 150 to 200 hp use the same switch (586130 for example)? I have looked into the BRP site and looked at the part numbers and they are not the same but maybe is just because they use different connectors! I looked for the part number of the bracket that holds the switch for mine (1990) and compared to 2003 and 2009 and is the same 513134 so if the switch is just a open/close type it should be the same! The issue is that the only ones I have found to match the 584011 doesn't look in good condition for the price asked but I have found 2 that looked better, are from a newer engines and cost less.