Shift Rod Assembly in Lower Gear Housing

Gangly

Seaman
After recently acquiring a 1990 Four Winns that has been sitting for a LOOOOONG time, I tore into it to make sure everything was good before taking it to the lake. I removed the Cobra Drive from the boat to make sure the shifter cable was adjusted properly and to grease the u-joints and shaft. While checking things, I noticed that the shift rod assembly in the lower gear housing required a little bit of effort to move up and down. I'm not sure how easily it should move, so can anybody give me a rough estimate of the general force that should be required to move it up and down by hand? Right now, it takes a little bit of effort and feels like its just snug but nothing to difficult, is that normal? I have nothing to compare it to so I am sorry if thats unclear.

THanks for any and all information, I greatly appreciate it.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shift Rod Assembly in Lower Gear Housing

It takes more effort than you would think. The main thing being that there are two seals that are contacting the shaft. Since everything inside is in oil and the rod isnt bent you should be ok. As long as water didnt sit in the drive.

Gangly

Seaman
Re: Shift Rod Assembly in Lower Gear Housing

Ok, thanks. I am not sure the if drive unit has water in the oil or not, I tried to change the drive oil but couldnt get the drain plug screw off. I picked up a hammer driver to get the screw out but havent gotten back to trying it yet. Thanks for the heads up and quick response, I appreciate it.