Semi-soft spot on deck. Brand new boat. (picture)

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman
I noticed a very small area of about 3" that sinks in just a tiny bit when you put direct pressure on it. It's just barely noticeable, but enough that if you pay attention you can detect it. I do not notice any other spots that are similar.

Is this something I should be concerned about for a boat that has only touched the water 4 times?

Sorry for the low quality mobile phone picture.

Area in question marked by red circle.

photo1244780503405.png

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Semi-soft spot on deck. Brand new boat. (picture)

It is unlikely that any kind of wood rot had time to set in yet. In all honesty I would keep an eye on this, however it is likely just unsupported decking between stringers.

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could have a deck screw that stripped out or came out and creating a loose deck area that might appear to be rot. Also, the area your showing is about where the fuel tank might be. I got two loose deck screws above my fuel tank, and if I fill the boat up with gas on a hot sunny day, the fuel tank expands and that piece of deck rises.

salty87

Commander

i don't know but i'd expect maxum to be using a full fiberglass insert.

it looks like the spot could be checked from the engine area. i'd poke around as best i could and think about asking the dealer to check it out. new boat shouldn't have soft spots.

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

You could have a deck screw that stripped out or came out and creating a loose deck area that might appear to be rot. Also, the area your showing is about where the fuel tank might be. I got two loose deck screws above my fuel tank, and if I fill the boat up with gas on a hot sunny day, the fuel tank expands and that piece of deck rises.

i don't know but i'd expect maxum to be using a full fiberglass insert.

it looks like the spot could be checked from the engine area. i'd poke around as best i could and think about asking the dealer to check it out. new boat shouldn't have soft spots.

You're both correct. It is above the fuel tank and you can get a look at the area by lifting the engine cover, but it doesn't offer much explanation.

I did notice after looking again, it seems to stick for a brief second when you put pressure on it. As if it wants to grab to something but lets loose. You can hear and feel it.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

...i'd poke around as best i could and think about asking the dealer to check it out. new boat shouldn't have soft spots.
+1
Talk to your dealer. Definately there should be NO soft spots.

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

I'll be in touch with the dealer. Is this potentially a major problem that could warrant major repairs?

Is there a simple way of repairing something like this on a new boat?