Securing Boat to trailer

Johnathan

Cadet
I have 2 boats, a 14' that has spring type hold downs something like a chain binder that attach on the transom and connect to the trailer, my 18' has nothing.<br /><br />Can anyone lead me in the right direction here as to what I should be using?<br /><br />On my first couple short trips I was smart enough to use a ratchet cargo strap that probably isn't strong enough to really do the job but it looked good :) <br /><br />John

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Securing Boat to trailer

John,<br /> I use IMCO trailer mount transom tiedowns in the rear of my 17 footer with a ratchet tiedown on bow eye to trailer frame, along with the winch strap. I always had a fear of my boat coming off the trailer , so I constantly check the tiedowns while I'm traveling.<br /> Welcome to Iboats!! :) :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

RodSaver brand transom straps can be found almost everywhere.

Johnathan

Cadet

Red Ranger, that is exactly what I fear is that boat setting on the highway and me hauling nothing on the trailer especially with our nicely paved potholes here in Pa come spring time. <br /><br />Problem I have had with strap holddowns in the past hauling other things is as you describe, you always need to be checking to see which ones need tightened, but this should be done whenever you stop for any reason.<br /> <br />I know the ones on the smalleer boat I won't have to worry about cause they are the same type my buddy had on his boat that made many trips to Lake Ontario with never a problem so I was hoping to get a set of them.<br /><br />As old as all of these that I am familiar with are they probably don't make them any more and I'll end up getting straps like roscoe says.<br /><br />Thanks for the help gentleman

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

And may I add that you should have two ratched tie downs across the gunnels to hold the boat to the trailer. One before and one after the axle. I didn't read that you are using any from your post. <br /><br />Mark

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

16' alum boat-<br />2 cam lock straps on transom eyes.<br />strap over boat near stern.<br />cam lock strap from bow cleat.<br />winch strap.<br />safety chain on bow eye

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

20' Dusky<br />2 straps on stern eyes<br />winch strap<br /><br />145+ mph wind tried to turn the whole thing over but couldnt because it was hooked to the truck. It lifted but didnt turn over. The wind was later deflected when the neighbors 10x12 metal shed wrapped around the bow.

Triton II

Commander

I have a 16ft cuddy cabin and use a bow strap with safety chain and a stern ratchet strap as per the setup when I bought it from the dealer. As a result of reading this thread I'm off to buy a second stern strap. Thanks for the advice.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For seven years now I've been using a rachet type strap on my 16' boat. She's a fair weight but even on runs to 300km she's sat tight every time. Mind you I check it each time I stop.<br />It connects directly to the tilt/trim via a special hook I made up. Works fine for me.<br />I have thought of other ideas but they're all much more expensive.<br />Oh, and the bow is held on with the winch wire plus a safety chain.<br />Ross

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Strap from bow eye to trailer and a strap around entire stern to trailer.Charlie

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Agree with Crazy. Most important is the strap across the boat, near the transom.

Johnathan

Cadet

Update: Did get transom straps for the eyes to the trailer and will do like Mark42 suggested with straps fore and aft of axle across the boat to the trailer!<br />Thanks everyone - now i may not shake so much worrying about it falling off and actually go a little closer to the speed limit. <br />Johnathan