Saturn Inflatables Price Increase

JulianDave

Cadet
I'm in the market for an inflatable and have been looking at the Saturn brand. A few days ago on their website appeared "Due to the cost of materials, prices will increase around 15% starting April 1st. Order now before the price increase". I just checked the site now, and that notice has been taken down/changed. Thought I'd mention it for anyone else thinking about a Saturn.

As a side note, there website had this interesting assertion:

Each SATURN inflatable boat is assembled only by women's hands. It is a known fact throughout the industry that only women can assemble high quality inflatable boats.

Hmmmm...

mamoka

Cadet
Re: Saturn Inflatables Price Increase

I remember last year they did the same thing but after 2 months they removed it & prices stayed untouched

lncoop

Vice Admiral

It's amazing to me how controversial Saturn has become. Not on here so much, but on other boards that are weighted more heavily toward inflatable discussions that company gives pariah an entirely new dimension. They might as well change their name to baby killer boatworks.:eek: Not sure how it happened to be them, because it's not as if they're the only Asian inflatable factory, but they've become the repository of all sorts of peoples' frustrations about "made in China" products (and yes, I know they're not made in China); frustrations that of course go much deeper and are much more complex that 1200 bucks worth of PVC and glue. Time will tell whether they're good boats. I know of several people who took a chance on them and have been happy with the results, but of course their boats haven't been around long enough to make any sort of determination regarding longevity. Time will tell, and I'll be listening. Until then I guess the womens' hands will be working away.;)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

They are just the standard low end PVC fabric boat. Not the worse. Amongst the PVC inflatables consider them a five. If you include Hypalon boats, Saturn would be a three. Anyone who considers a PVC boat just has to consider the price, life expectancy and the ability to get warranty service on that particular brand. My only problem with PVC is that it is often misrepresented as having a long service life.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

They are just the standard low end PVC fabric boat. Not the worse. Amongst the PVC inflatables consider them a five. If you include Hypalon boats, Saturn would be a three. Anyone who considers a PVC boat just has to consider the price, life expectancy and the ability to get warranty service on that particular brand. My only problem with PVC is that it is often misrepresented as having a long service life.

Where they're really getting hammered is in the whitewater community. Those guys are brutal. There are some pretty entertaining (if at times ill informed) conversations.

mpj76

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know how they hold up in whitewater (rocks, abrasion???), but mine has held up in some rough ocean water for the past three years. I've seen many brands and models and the Fort Lauderdale and Miami boats shows and the PVC seems just as tough (or weak) as other brand boats of similar size. I guess only time will tell. Mine is stored inflated in an attached garage when not in use.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, consensus is they hold up fine in whitewater as well. The question mark regards longevity. Boats made by Hyside, Aire, Maravia, etc. last twenty years minimum if cared for properly. Saturn hasn't even been around that long. Again, not knocking Saturn at all. I have no dog in the hunt. As you said, only time will tell. I bet yours will serve you well for a long time, especially given how you're storing it.