Safety question - 40yo fiberglass vhull

mudebate

Cadet
I just snagged a 1962 14' fiberglass Herter's "Hudson bay" off a buddy of mine for a song. Does anyone have experience with this boat? My key concerns are: (1) do I need to worry about the age of the fiberglass; (2) how much of an impact Cana boat like this take from a rock or tree; and (3) the original add specified a 600lb weight limit - should a treat that as the true max or a ballpark?

Any thought at all on this old boat are appreciated.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Safety question - 40yo fiberglass vhull

I can't comment on your specific boat, but I can say some of the old original glass hulls are some of the toughest hulls out there. Back when they had the idea that more is better and you end up with over 1/2" of fiberglass. The boats were very heavy but seem to be holding up well 40 years later.

With that said no one can comment how well your boat will take a rock or tree strike. Grazing a tree branch at 4 knots is far different than a 40 mph rock strike!

On a small boat I would treat the 600 lbs as a maximum as best as you can. Stability gets questionable once your over that threshold and I would hate to be in the water due to overloading the boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

fathers day and vacation 064resized.jpg102_6448.jpg2XGlastron.jpg

Age on a fiberglass boat does not matter to a degree: As long as the gel coat is intact and still providing a UV barrier, the structural fiberglass should still maintain its integrity. As soon as the gelcoat wears away from exposure, the fiberglass will start to degrade.

So: If the boat was stored indoors or waxed once or twice a year, there should be no problem.

Of more interest is the condition of any wood structural members in the hull--transom and stringers: Is there any rot?

This 40 year old boat took a hit from a car--it was sideswiped from the opposite direction of travel at about 40 MPH (each vehicle). The car mirror was knocked off but the fiberglass was not even crazed.

Fiberglass does have decent impact resistance and good flexibility but when it comes to rocks and water, there is no telling how much damage will be done. It is all very subjective: Where was the hit, how hard, how sharp was the rock, how big? Etc. There is really no telling.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the real problem from impact (other than a gaping hole) is the cracking, which then lets water in, which degrades the glass and soaks the flotation foam (if there is any) and rots whatever wood it can find through cracks. There is also freeze (expansion) damage depending where you are.

It's kind of a funny question: did your hull hit something, or are you planning to?

A basic 14' hull is nothing to worry about: if it has problems, you can see them, otherwise, have fun. (by 'see them" that includes seeing the transom flex--if it does you have problems)

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That 40 year old boat is 50 years old but the extra 10 years won't matter.
That 600 pounds includes fuel, battery, outboard, gear and people. If it's in an ad, and not the weight rating, it might mean that you could put four light people in it. No more than that.

mudebate

Cadet

That 40 year old boat is 50 years old but the extra 10 years won't matter.
That 600 pounds includes fuel, battery, outboard, gear and people. If it's in an ad, and not the weight rating, it might mean that you could put four light people in it. No more than that.

:) - I don't count the last decade in my age, so I figured I'd leave it off the boat too!

Thanks to all who have replied. My pal needed to divest himself of the boat and I have the space to store it. I'm just trying to determine whether it is worth investing in an outboard and if it will be a reasonably safe boat for fishing small lakes and rivers. Any suggestions on minimum outboard? I don't need to get it on plane, but I'd like to be able to putter from spot to spot at 5-10mph and get upstream in a pinch.

Thanks!

mudebate

Cadet

View attachment 175933View attachment 175934View attachment 175935

Of more interest is the condition of any wood structural members in the hull--transom and stringers: Is there any rot?

The transom reinforcement and seats are actually aluminum rather than wood, which seem good for both a weight and durability perspective. The hull is translucent and does not appear to have a gelcoat (unless it might be clear) as for waxing, I doubt it. The boat has certainly seen extensive outdoor storage time.

Is there a specific wax I should apply for maintenance? I don't want to invest too much in a boat that was free with the trailer, but it seems like it will serve my purposes just fine and allow me to spend fund that would have gone to a new aluminum boat on a motor and tackle.

Thanks!

mudebate

Cadet

It's kind of a funny question: did your hull hit something, or are you planning to?

I would not say that I am planning to but, given my track-record with all things motorized, I would not consider it unlikely. :D

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The transom reinforcement and seats are actually aluminum rather than wood, which seem good for both a weight and durability perspective. The hull is translucent and does not appear to have a gelcoat (unless it might be clear) as for waxing, I doubt it. The boat has certainly seen extensive outdoor storage time.

Is there a specific wax I should apply for maintenance? I don't want to invest too much in a boat that was free with the trailer, but it seems like it will serve my purposes just fine and allow me to spend fund that would have gone to a new aluminum boat on a motor and tackle.

Thanks!
The transom itself is what you need to look at, that and the stringers under the floor, and the floor(sole) itself. Those items are important, usually overlooked, and almost always in some form of needing attention. If you have any holes drilled in the transom for motor mounts, or ski hooks, or other items, you most likely have a chance at water intrusion, and possible wood rot in the backbone of your boat. The support items you mention are not as critical as whats under the floor and in the stern. Inspect the entire hull, and take core samples of your transom and stringers, take pictures of all of it and show us here. Waxing is cosmetic, check your infrastructure before polishing.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Waxing is NOT cosmetic. It does protect the gelcoat from degrading due to UV in sunlight. While the purpose of gelcoat is mainly to protect the structural glass from UV damage, it is also a poly resin and will eventually be sun damaged too. If you have ever been in a boat that gives you the itchees after touching it, that is because gelcoat has degraded and fiberglass strands are protruding from the sunlight damaged deck.

Almost any auto wax suitable for use on fiberglass will do and there are a couple of specific fiberglass waxes for tubs and other things. OR you can spend mega-bucks for the Starbrite brand.

HOWEVER, if the basic hull is not sound, then yes, why bother waxing. Of course, structural repairs come first

mudebate

Cadet

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. I'll give it an inspection and post some photos soon. By inspection I mean test float, so if you never hear from me again you know what happened!