Sacrificial Anodes on Trailers?

RubberDuckie

Cadet
Does anyone know why they don't put sacrificial anodes, like the zinc bars on outdrives, on trailers? It seems to me that it would have the same beneficial effect it has on the boat, thereby extending a trailer's healthy years of service. If there's a reason why not, I'm curious to find out what it is.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Sacrificial Anodes on Trailers?

Because they only work when they are submerged in the water, and your trailer is only there a couple of minutes at a time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you want your trailer to last a long time and it is not galvanized, paint it with a high quality paint and keep after it by always touching up rusty spots.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Bruceb on this one. Just gave my trailer a good reconditioning last summer. Still looking great but I will be doing some touch up this year to keep it both looking good and preserving it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you are not flushing your engine after use, especially in salt water you should, along with rinsing down the boat, and trailer, if it has brakes them too. if you go on a snorkle boat in the Fl Keys, the 1st thing they do when you come back aboard, is rinse everything in fresh water. this preserves the life of all the equipment.