runnign a 4 stroke efi out of gas

nicknight

Seaman
Help!

I start up my engine every 3 months when not in use OR a winterize.

I decided to start it up then winterize.
After 10 minutes it ran out of fuel (had it sitting in idle). Then I put some oil in the cylinders left the cowl and lid off and left it sitting in the garage.
I know running out of fuel on a regular basis is not a good thing for an EFI.

?????So do I need to put more fuel in the lines?????

64osby

Admiral
Re: runnign a 4 stroke efi out of gas

Can't answer the question related to an EFI.

If you do add fuel make sure it is treated, stabilized or at least Sea Foam. Especially if the gas has ethanol.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

My dealer said the new fuel injected 4 strokes are not like the old 2 strokes, and they need to be left with fuel in the system. I have 100% gasoline in my tank, however.

In the South, our boating season runs March to December. My boat's undercover in a boathouse.

If you run your boat in between seasons, I assume you've got water going to your engine.

You might consider just leaving the engine like it is until you're ready to start your Spring boating season. Charge your battery, fill your tank with new gasoline with an additive, pump up the fuel line with the bulb and start her up. You'll be okay.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

you might consider just leaving the engine like it is until you're ready to start your spring boating season. Charge your battery, fill your tank with new gasoline with an additive, pump up the fuel line with the bulb and start her up. You'll be okay

That's what I would do too. Not sure where you live, but, if you lay it up all winter just winterize and let it sit.