Retrofit Separate Trim & Trailer Switch?

pjrogers

Seaman Apprentice
Our boat's Mercruiser throttle control has the usual thumb-operated trim switch. It does not have a separate trailer button to fully raise the drive leg. Instead, the up button has two pressure detents - light pressure causes the the leg to lift to the trim limit. Push a bit harder on the up button and it falls through to the second detent which raises the leg to trailering height.

Some operators of this boat are, well, a bit ham-handed. I would like to separate the trim and trailering functions, and put the trailering actuator on a dedicated button located in some convenient spot.

Has anyone here done such a thing? I'm not keen to butcher the throttle control assembly, so I'm particularly interested to know if the wiring can be accessed without pulling the control apart. The boat is an '01 Searay 230 w/ a 6.2 MPI & a Bravo III drive.

Cheers,
pjr

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Retrofit Separate Trim & Trailer Switch?

At the Transom, Inside the boat,..... The Trim Limit,+ Sender wires come Thru the Plate,.......
Find Them, Identify which is which,.....
Then just wire Your Switch into the Limit wires....
There are Bullet Connectors there,.... So you don't even have to Cut a wire......