Replacing inline fuel filter with water-separating kit

Bill_T_Cat

Recruit
I have a '92 GenII Alpha 4.3L with an obsolete inline filter, so I am now looking at replacing this filter with a water-separating kit (canister style filter). The current arrangement can be seen at http://www.perfprotech.com/Store2/ViewAssemblyDemo.aspx?AssemblyId=2875&ParentId=Model300.htm... Flexible rubber fuel line from the tank to the filter, and then hard metal line from the filter to the fuel pump (part # 861155A 6).
The kit I am looking to install is Sierra part 18-7848-1. I have two aspects of the installation that I would greatly appreciate some guidance on.

1) What is the best way to plumb between the new filter and the pump? The base assembly ports on the new filter kit are 1/4" NPT. Barbed fittings are easily found (looks like I should use 3/8" ID J1527 type A1 fuel line) to connect to the fuel tank. The pump accepts a double flared connection to a metal line. I haven't disassembled to see if this is also 1/4" NPT, but it looks like it may be. Do I have to rig up some elaborate metal plumbing here, or can I run hose to the pump? And if so, I haven't found any fittings to connect a hose to the pump. Could I use NPT barb fittings here as well (into the #9 in the above referenced drawing)?

2) Where is a good mounting location for the filter? It would seem best to keep it up and out of the bilge area. The best location I can see is on the partition wall (pointed out in image below). This adds quite a bit of fuel line length compared to the current configuration, but it gets the filter into an easily accessible location.

I've also been told that I could completely remove the filter and rely solely on the carb inlet filter... or use a standard outboard inline filter. If those options are indeed reasonable, I'm still not exactly sure how to either join hose to the metal line or hose to the pump.

I truly appreciate any input more experienced folk may have here. Thanks!

fuel_install.jpg

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Replacing inline fuel filter with water-separating kit

If you have no idea on what you need to do (SOO simple)..take it to a shop. One little leak, and you are going up in a fireball..this is ONE PLACE ya don't fool around in an IO

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Merc makes a kit to replace that filter. It includes the preformed steel tubing needed for the pressure side of the pump to the filter, the bracket to mount the filter, fittings, etc. to do the job correctly.
It PN is 35-807172A1 Lists for about $120 at your local Merc dealer.

Bill_T_Cat

Recruit

Thanks both of you.

Truth be told, I was leaning towards the shop route for that just that reason. Still, I'm the type that enjoys diy work and expanding my knowledge and skills.

Don, I had looked at that merc kit... but it looked to me that the placement of the filter dictated by the preformed steel line would not easily work for my engine. I imagine it's my lack of experience in this area, but I wasn't able to see an obvious place that the included bracket would install. Would you recommend against even using the Sierra kit installed by a reputable shop?

Regardless, thanks again for your responses.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As far as the Merc kit goes, I know about them. Never had to install one or seen one. Also haven't seen the Sierra one, it may be identical. Have no way of knowing. But I will say, the OEM kits that Merc sells for many different things actually work. Can't really say that about the aftermarket stuff that almost fits a lot of things but never fits exactly.