Replacement of water circulation pump V6 4.3L

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello dear all,
my water pump in 4.3L V6 is a little noisy I have to replace it because I want to be 100% sure its fine,
only OEM

8M0113734
PUMP ASSEMBLY, Water8503991
or Sierra (18-3599-2) is acceptable also ?
What about this item? https://www.ebay.com/itm/164948766690 I dont want to buy some Chinese crap...

1694638177928.png

Rgrds,

flashback

Captain
My guess is it is chinesim, especially with the big red lifetime warranty. Price ain't bad but it's probably a gamble...

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If it involves fuel, cooling, ignition, or life safety, buy from proven established online retailers if you chose to purchase online.

If you deal with EBay or Amazon, you have to do a substantial research and possibly ask a lot of questions to determine if the seller is worth buying from or not.

Example:

Here is an image from a carb rebuild kit for Evinrude/Johnson sold on Amazon:

1694646043919.png

It's a garbage aftermarket kit in Amazon's recommendation list when doing a search. It would fail most of the time and cost you money and time and possibly engine damage if it cut off fuel flow since it is a 2 stroke motor.

Most people do not have the knowledge or experience built up to determine if a seller is selling genuine marine quality parts or garbage.

I know for a fact when I buy a certain part# from the online retailer I buy from, it is the genuine part and not a piece of junk that is worthless (whether counterfeit of OEM or just worthless).

iBoats carries a fair number of parts competitively priced which helps keep this forum running, their line of what they carry might not be as comprehensive as what you need.

If you would like some recommendations, send me a PM as promoting sellers other than iBoats of products iBoats sells on forum posts is against forum rules.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you want true OEM. GM used AC Delco and Mahle pumps on the motors they sold to Mercruiser

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you want true OEM. GM used AC Delco and Mahle pumps on the motors they sold to Mercruiser

I would like to But Can I use automotive in my boat? I am NOT in saltwater

@havoc_squad; Yea youre 100% Right. Im not from US so usually im buying from big shops on ebay like RPMs or Michigan etc...

So guys is it 'fine' to use Sierra pump for example? I love OEM (rubber parts) but in sometimes Sierra is also reliable...

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another issue, ive found info that there are waterpumps with 2 or 3 holes
1694682249317.png

I cannot remove mine from the boat because Im on the water....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would like to But Can I use automotive in my boat? I am NOT in saltwater

@havoc_squad; Yea youre 100% Right. Im not from US so usually im buying from big shops on ebay like RPMs or Michigan etc...

So guys is it 'fine' to use Sierra pump for example? I love OEM (rubber parts) but in sometimes Sierra is also reliable...
The correct pump is a marine pump. just like GM supplied to mercruiser.

Not an automotive pump. automotive pumps use steel impellers, and have a steel back plate. marine pumps have bronze impellers, and a stainless back plate.

Sierra is fine. GM (Marine not automotive) is OEM, Mercruiser is high-priced GM parts in a Quick silver box, which is fine.

or rebuild your current pump.

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do You have Maybe GM part number?i would be more than Happy to buy GM.
I was wondering about rebuilding because I’m a fan of fixing not replacing parts but the rebuild kit is the same price or even higher than Sierra pump and there is a chance Something go wrong.
Ok if I don’t find GM part I will go for sierra which is available here locally in Italy

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've used Sierra water circulating pumps on my engine, they don't last as long as the OEM but are readily available and reasonably priced. I'm in salt water if you're in fresh water they'd probably last longer.

Scott06

Admiral
I was wondering about rebuilding because I’m a fan of fixing not replacing parts but the rebuild kit is the same price or even higher than Sierra pump and there is a chance Something go wrong.
Ok if I don’t find GM part I will go for sierra which is available here locally in Italy
Are you sure the noise is not from the belt or pulley? I also boat in fresh water and have never had to replace a circulating pump, on boats that have been 33, 25, and now 18 years old.

You may want to see if the belt is making the noise or feel the pump for roughness by hand. Would hate to see you change it and have it make same noise... but we know you like to work on your boat.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
First you usually get a bit of a grinding noise from the bearing, then some time after it may start to leak from the weep hole, then it's really time to change it.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
First you usually get a bit of a grinding noise from the bearing, then some time after it may start to leak from the weep hole, then it's really time to change it.
yes the china bearing and the seal !

Scott Danforth

Staff member
would have to know a lot more.

specifically which 4.3 liter generation block (there are over 9 different block generations and about 25 different casting numbers)

and which pump you have. with bypass, without bypass, short or long

However being in Italy, get the Sierra that cross-references to your specific serial number (referencing if it has or does not have the extra bypass hole and if its a long pump or short pump)

there are a few sellers selling the GM marine water pumps on Amazon. you can also get parts from Rock auto in Europe faster than I can get them here in Florida