Replace Impellar

terrylee

Cadet
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the lower unit to come off. I have taken the six bolts/nuts off will not come off, any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks......

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace Impellar

On what drive?.....
Ar eyou separating the upper & lower or the entire drive?.....
If you are doing the entire drive, I suggest you make sure it is in fwd if it is an Alpha 1....;)
Welcome to iboats, btw.....​

terrylee

Cadet

I,m trying to replace the Impellar in the lower drive I put it in forward but it does not want to come off I just bought the boat a few months ago it is a 1990 and I do not know if this has ever been replaced would that make it hard to come off.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its a saltwater boat sometimes you have to use the fwd studs to "jack" the case apart.
I have spent as long as 5 hours doing silly work all due to lack of maint.
if you wedge it be careful to use wooden wedges and DONT scratch up the oil transfer passage surface.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I,m trying to replace the Impellar in the lower drive I put it in forward but it does not want to come off I just bought the boat a few months ago it is a 1990 and I do not know if this has ever been replaced would that make it hard to come off.
I know where the impeller is located...
You still have not answered the question:.....
Are you trying to remove the entire drive or just the lower gear case?........:confused:

terrylee

Cadet

I,m just trying to take off the gear case I can stick a screwdriver on the front studs a push down and it move down but the front part will not move I took the big allen bolt out is there another bolt I am not seeing.

Thanks....

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

There are two under the cavitation plate in the back, the two on the sides, one in the front on top & the allen located under the trim tab.....
Frankly, if you do not know when the drive was off last you should pull the drive & grease the u joints......
It is waaaaay easier to put the drive back together while on the bench.....;)
If you removed the five nuts & the Allen, the only thing holding it in is the drive shaft & the intermediate shift shaft......
Some tapping with a mallet, or a block of wood will be helpful......
Avoid prying on the center starboard mating surfaces like Rodbolt said......
If you bugger the oil seal passage hole, you will be sorry.....:(

terrylee

Cadet

So to take the whole outdrive off do I just pull those six bolts on the top and pull it out does the outdrive have to be in down postion to take the lower unit off cause I have it blocked up now,do I have to disconnect anything if I pull the whole unit off, probably would be a good idea to lube the u-joints.

thanks.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my opinion if you have never pulled a drive off and have never replaced an Impeller I would seek professional advice or help---you can do more damage than the repair would cost just to have a shop do it----good luck

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Make sure it is in forward.....
Put the drive down so the skeg just contacts the ground, it will make reinstall much easier.....
The six nuts, & the two that anchor the trim cylinders on the aft end......
You will want to loosen (not remove) the two nuts at the front of the cylinders as well.......;)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

What we need to know is WHAT drive are you trying to replace the impeller .

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion if you have never pulled a drive off and have never replaced an Impeller I would seek professional advice or help---you can do more damage than the repair would cost just to have a shop do it----good luck
Disagree, it is doable & will save you lots of gas money.....
Just don't pry anything or force it without advice.....;)

terrylee

Cadet

It is a alpha 0ne mercrusier it seems to be free in the back but the front does not want to give I took the big allen bolt out I do not see any more bolts I took the other two off I just cannot get the front to give I was told by my local boat shop it is a easy fix to just make sure I put the gear shift all the way forward and I did that.

Bondo

Staff member

Are you calling the Fronts,+ Backs, ***** backwards,.......
Speak in relation to the Boats Fore,+ Aft,..... Not the way you're Looking at it........

The Only Big Allen headed bolt I can think of is in the Aft part of the drive.....
And,......
There's the bolt going Up, from under the Anode......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are 7 nuts and bolts to remove.
The first is the bolt holding the trim tab anode on.
Then there are these 6

Merclowerremoval.png

PS: The picture was taken from the Mercruiser Service manual #6 you can download for free.

http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think he has the drive even off the boat yet--much less spliting the cases

terrylee

Cadet

Well thanks for all you help I found the bolt under where the trim tab is I had to take the hydrofoil off the the anode fell off and I found the bolt me Impellar was totally gone the water tube was all squashed up could someone have done this before and not got the tube on right and squashed it all up then the Impellar and gaskets the boat shop sold me were to big so guess I,m done til monday again thanks so much for your help.

terrylee

Cadet

Hello one other thing I noticed was there was not a o-ring in the groove at the top of the drive shaft should I put on on it when I put it back together.

Thanks again...