repairing whole on the top of my runabout

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How to repair the gunnel wall(I think that is what it is called) top section were the windshield and chrome rail mounts. When I got the boat it was missing the chrome rail which is fine with me don't really like them anyway. Some of the mounts were missing or under a bad repair. The mounting holes have been wallowed out. I understand that due to the fact that the boat has metal flake in it that i will never get it to match but I am more concerned with it being dry and functional. I may at one point paint the top side anyway. My question is what to use and the steps to take to fill these wholes and a few other minor ones.
100_3525.jpg100_3526.jpg100_3527.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: repairing whole on the top of my runabout

Can you get to the underside of them?

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes but it is a long stretch up under the bow cushions. Reach under the right cushion

000_0029.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My recommendation is to sand the back side with 60 grit and apply a small backer patch of 1.5 oz csm and polyester resin. You can then mix some Resin, cabosil and chopped milled fibers to the consistencey of mayonaise and fill the holes leaving them a little proud. Wipe the top side down with acetone, sand with 320 grit. Tape off the area and when dry sand smooth. Take some Testor's Car Model Metal Flake Paint and some of their clear coat, to match as best you can and touch it up. It won't be too noticable. Others may have other suggestions.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My recommendation is to sand the back side with 60 grit and apply a small backer patch of 1.5 oz csm and polyester resin. You can then mix some Resin, cabosil and chopped milled fibers to the consistencey of mayonaise and fill the holes leaving them a little proud. Wipe the top side down with acetone, sand with 320 grit. Tape off the area and when dry sand smooth. Take some Testor's Car Model Metal Flake Paint and some of their clear coat, to match as best you can and touch it up. It won't be too noticable. Others may have other suggestions.
Will the car model paint hold up the whole upper half needs clear coated anyway.

I was thinking about getting some billet aluminum emblems and using them to cover the holes after I have sealed them. The ones that are large holes anyway but i do want to fill the holes first for sure

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

On a small patch it will for a while. If you have a touch up spray gun you could shoot regular clear coat on it. Just trying to give you a quick fix. You indicated you might be Painting the entire top cap soooo I just gave you this alternative for the small holes. It will not be a totally permanent fix.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks I have been toying with buying a paint gun and have read your paint your boat for under a 100 but i have never been a very good painter it will take alot of meditation to pull the trigger (no pun intended). Did you have to do alot of sanding and buffing after you painted the flamingo?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, All the sanding is done Prior to painting. With Painting it's ALL in the prep work. Filling and fairing all the scratches and gouges to get the surface smooth as a baby's behind. Shoot the first coat of primer and check for any imperfections. The Primer coat WILL show them. If they are there you sand that area and fill it, sand it and reshoot it with primer. Once it looks like you want it. You shoot another coat of primer do a light sanding and wipe down with acetone and then shoot the color coats. When the color coats are down. You don't do anything for at least a couple of months to ensure the paint is totally cured. Then you can buff it and wax and polish it. You can do it. Lot's of guys on here had never used a spray gun and painted their boats with great results. It's not as hard as you think.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well with boating season getting close may be a job for next off season. We want to get this in the water hopefully in the next 2 or 3 weeks may not be completely done but def useful