Repair manual for '55-15HP Evinrude, 15014

Fiftyfivefloater

Seaman Apprentice
Let me start off saying this forum is the best! I can't wait to do the restoration on this motor. :)

I have already got my hands on the original 1955 Owner's Manual, which has been useuful in the 'discovery' stage. Now I would like to get a proper Repair Manual and probably one for parts as well. After clicking on the links from this site I couldn't locate anything for my '55.

Anyone have a good source or recommendations on manuals? This is my very first boat motor and my very first restoration, so I need good one that doesn't assume anything (like I actually know what I am doing).:cool:

Hopefully with this kind of info (I do well with printed material) I can reduce the number of "what the heck just happened?" postings and instead shoot out progress updates and pics. :D

What I have already picked up from this forum :
*replace impeller, no matter how it may look or feel, it has sat for 10yrs...
*clean/possibly rebuild carb, replace fuel lines
*replace the upper/lower seal which (on this model) is not the best
*inspect coils/insulation & check for proper spark
*toss the rusty gas tank, but pressure tanks themselves are not bombs
*inspected the lower gear case, seals and oil
*main shaft, shift linkage and pump tube must align to 'stab' the lower;)

I've also done a shift/gear linkage test and everything worked as it should, all gear connections look very sharp, well greased, no water damage anywhere.

Everything that I have looked at so far says this one is worth bringing back to life. After reading other threads about similar size/yr motors it appears that before I get too far down the road I should also check the compression out. But I am hopeful!

Thanks!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Repair manual for '55-15HP Evinrude, 15014

Yep, I second that. I bought two johnson books that covers Johnsons back to the 20's. Ken Cook Company has great material.

Now, if you want original paint and decals for that motor, go to this place:
http://www.nymarine.ca/

They even have decals for your old twin line tanks as well.

Make your very first outboard look completely original.:D:D