removing omc upper gear case

dpbj6

Cadet
I have an 89 omc cobra 4 cyc and i would like to know how to remove the upper gear case housing. i need to send it out to get rebuilt. Is it very hard?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: removing omc upper gear case

Nope.<br />You have a manual? If not...get one...a real one..not Selco or Clymers...OMC...usually can find them on ebay reasonably priced.<br /><br />The gist of it...<br />1. Remove outdrive form boat.<br /> a. Drain oil and water from outdrive.<br /> b. Remove 6 bolts holding outdrive to transom mount. (leave shifter in neutral).<br /> c. Remove trim rams from outdrive (leave them attached at transom bracket).<br /> d. PULL straight back...will have to "break" gasket seal so may be alittle hard..may help to have outdrive supported by something - homemade stand/ropes to overhead tree...just make sure it can hold 120+ pounds. I found that having it suspended assisted in the separation process..so you may wish to go this route. You can either buy an eye screw to fit the dipstick hole or just tie a rope through ram mounting shaft hole AS WELL AS under front of upper!!! Drive is very front heavy and if you only tie through ram holes it will flip forward when clear of transom.<br /><br />2. Separate upper from lower.<br /> a. Remove little fin (there is a bolt under it that you need to get to.<br /> b. Turn shifter rod 1/4 turn to side so it will not get caught when separating..it is attached to lower so will need to slide down.<br /> c. Remove all bolts going from lower to upper. (4 along sides going up...and 1 in front of were fin was and 1 under where fin was. Be careful here...it may just drop...you will want someone there to hold it while you remove the last bolts...assuming that it is hanging. If it doesn't just drop..you going to have to pull down on lower...give alittle wiggle to assist...and it should just suddenly give so be ready.<br /><br />Once apart..you should be all set.<br /><br />-JustMrWill<br /><br />ps... this is how I did it...I don't guarentee any of the above process to be successfull for you. :)

twa72

Cadet

what kind of manual are you talking about shop manual, parts manual, repair manual, which one and are they made by omc

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

The OMC repair manual. Very easy to follow and accurate...have both selco and OMC manuals...wow what a difference.<br /><br />-JustMrWill