remove prop?

copycat

Recruit
i am having a hard time removing the prop from a '71 Merc, i've sprayed it with wd-40,<br />and others. it just won't release off the shaft...while using a puller on it. any ideas<br />other than cutting it off?

Caddis

Recruit
Re: remove prop?

Originally posted by copycat:<br />i am having a hard time removing the prop from a '71 Merc, i've sprayed it with wd-40,<br />and others. it just won't release off the shaft...while using a puller on it. any ideas<br />other than cutting it off?
<br />Try heat, if it doesn't have a rubber sleeve in the hub. Use a propane torch and evenly heat the whole hub area. The prop will expand faster than the shaft. Use a light hammer and tap everything that won't bend or break, as hard as you can without being destructive.

Mark Biederbeck

Recruit
Re: remove prop?

I removed a very frozen prop from a Merc by drilling around the prop shaft into the hub. Take about a 3/16" drill and drill in as close to the shaft & parallel to it all the way around. The prop should fall off and then you can chip away what's left. The splines got a little damage, no big deal at all. Had prop hub replaced, worked great. Everybody else said to torch it which would ruin prop and probably shaft too. Good luck.