Reman Merc 4.3 looks like older vintage; cause for concern?

Fotog

Cadet
Looking at a '98 Chaparral and current owner states that original owner replaced the engine with a "refurbished" Mercruiser 4.3. The photo on left shows the engine, which does not have a Mercruiser indentification and several things look different from the 4.3 LX photo on the right from a '96 Reinell. Should I pass on this boat if the engine is an older vintage than the original '98 engine? Engine sounded good and ran well during our test drive. I've never dealt with a remanufactured engine, but I'm not sure I want to pay for engine technology that is 10 years older than the boat (which is already 15 years old). Don't have engine number so I can't really identify the age. Just wondering if the LX has significant improvements in carburetor, etc?

Chap Merc 43.jpgReinell 43lx.jpg

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Reman Merc 4.3 looks like older vintage; cause for concern?

No, that's a newer vintage 4.3L with the batwing exhaust manifolds. The serpentine belt gives it away... ;)
I'm not a super fan of the batwings, but hey, they're working. The only thing I see missing is the rectangular flame arrestor cover.

Fotog

Cadet

Thanks, Volphin. Looks like I could get flame arrestor used on ebay. What is the advantage of the center rise exhaust manifold?

Fotog

Cadet

...or maybe I should say: how serious is the concern about the "batwing" exhaust manifold? In a search of forum posts I find some posters who say replace them right away before they ruin your engine. This boat is 100% freshwater environment.

Bondo

Staff member

...or maybe I should say: how serious is the concern about the "batwing" exhaust manifold? In a search of forum posts I find some posters who say replace them right away before they ruin your engine. This boat is 100% freshwater environment.

Ayuh,.... I guess you've found my posts,.... those things suffer from core shift in the castin' process,...

I seen it happen, repeatedly,... Surgery with a sledgehammer proved it,...

'n No brine involved, right here on the Sweetwater seas, Lake Ontario, 'n the St Lawrence,...

Last edited: