Regular fuel

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder. I'm using a tank every 2 weeks. Mostly trolling other then when I get there and leave. Then it's full throttle. I have been burning high test but with the price at 2.27 a litre would it be ok to burn regular seeing how it's not sitting very long.??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Almost all engines are rated for regular fuel. Fuel sitting for 2 weeks is not an issue with any grade of gasoline.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
been burning 87 octane for 17 years in my 75 ETEC with full tank storage over winter (6 months using EV 2+4D fuel conditioner circulated in the system)
never any issues at Spring start ups

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
As long as you're using it regularly, 87 is fine to use. Letting it sit untreated for an extended period (4-6 months) is when you will start to see issues. Save yourself the money and burn the 87'

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It won't run any better, in fact it will actually make a tiny bit less power on high test.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^yeah, that's the counterintuitive part. High test actually burns slower. I like to add antifreeze or drier with whatever fuel is used (eg. Heet). Condensation happens.

Last edited:

Chief Petty Officer
Ethanol free only lightens your wallet faster

iggyw1

Ensign
I use 87 octane in my 70 horse power motor, and I add some Sea Foam to the gas tank every other tank full of fuel. (1 oz. per gal).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
^yeah, that's the counterintuitive part. High test actually burns slower. I like to add antifreeze or drier with whatever fuel is used (eg. Heet). Condensation happens.
Assume your using E0?
Adding more alcohol (Heet) to E10 makes no sense

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
We do like our snake oil....
opinions differ...has I stated a few times SF changed by backfiring flame throwing snowblower back to a smooth running workhorse after 10 minutes ... maybe snake oil in outboards but I never did have to clean-up/replace the carb on my snowblower at -10C ... it has been 3-4 winters now and my 10 year old Honda 724 starts easy and runs great... and I do not work for SF :)

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 2000 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder. I'm using a tank every 2 weeks. Mostly trolling other then when I get there and leave. Then it's full throttle. I have been burning high test but with the price at 2.27 a litre would it be ok to burn regular seeing how it's not sitting very long.??
OMC even says clean 87 octane fuel is all thats required. I am not sure where the have to run premium fuel notion got started and why so many people think you have too. What you don't want is ethonol, and I guess it came from that many premium fuels use to be no ethonol but that's not been the case for a long time now. If I ran a lot of fuel I honestly would run ethonol fuel if I had too, but for me where it takes weeks in the summer to use a tank I only run non E fuel 87 octane

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
50 years boating with part of it old style fuel then ethanol came along

Had 1 yes 1 issue with jellied fuel clogging a small OB....

rest is history ... no issues with ethanol 87 octane ( max 50 -60 hours boating/season)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, alcohol in gasoline is no issue. No backfiring, nothing. It runs just as well as straight gasoline. If you folks want to raise the price of fuel by adding seafoam, or other additives, it is your $$. However, I think you are giving away your money for no benefit....