Registration Questions with California

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I received my new boat Saturn XD430 (extra long dinghy) last week. It has been sitting there since I didn't get my registration. I plan to visit DMV this week to get the registration done. My question is this - if I physically go into DMV will I get the registration right away or do I have to wait for a couple of weeks for the registration to arrive by mail?

jbcurt00

Staff member
IIRC, you'll get a reciept when you pay the registration that should work as a temp registration card. It will (or should) have your Reg# on it.

Then the real reg card will come via mail. It has been a while since I lived in CA, but the process is the same now here in WV as it was then in CA.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I registered my boat through S. California AAA (easier than dealing with DMV!), they gave me the stickers and a temporary registration, actual paperwork arrived a few weeks later.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I registered my boat through S. California AAA (easier than dealing with DMV!), they gave me the stickers and a temporary registration, actual paperwork arrived a few weeks later.
I did it that way as well although my branch said they normally don't do boats. Call your office before to make sure.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the responses. I have made an appointment for this Friday. We are going for a camping trip the weekend of the 21st and I wanted to make sure that I have the registration with me by then. As long as I have a temp registration I am fine. If they were not going to give me a temp registration, I was going to try to go tomorrow without an appointment and wait 3-4 hours and get it done just so that I have the registration in the mail hopefully by the end of next week.

I am also going to try calling AAA. The only problem is sometimes those places charge a lot. Anyway, I am going to find out.

Thanks again.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I assume you live in (or are moving to) CA? DMV services are a part of AAA membership, no extra fees. If you aren't a AAA member, consider it!

BTW, is there a trailer involved? Is it brand new? If old, is it from out-of-state? If you're registering a used trailer from out-of-state, you have to bring it in (to DMV or to AAA performing DMV services) to have its VIN number verified.

Also, you imply that this vessel is brand new...did you buy this vessel in California? If not brand new...or if new but bought outside CA, even of you already paid sales tax to another state...prepare to pay 8% to 10% "use tax." Unless it was a gift.

Last edited:

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I assume you live in (or are moving to) CA? DMV services are a part of AAA membership, no extra fees. If you aren't a AAA member, consider it!

BTW, is there a trailer involved? Is it brand new? If old, is it from out-of-state? If you're registering a used trailer from out-of-state, you have to bring it in (to DMV or to AAA performing DMV services) to have its VIN number verified.

Also, you imply that this vessel is brand new...did you buy this vessel in California? If not brand new...or if new but bought outside CA, even of you already paid sales tax to another state...prepare to pay 8% to 10% "use tax." Unless it was a gift.

Was a AAA member until couple of months ago; switched insurance and no longer a member. I am okay going to DMV. I think AAA membership is overrated, just my personal opinion. I don't see any benefits.

No trailer is involved. I am happy that no trailer is involved.. LOL

I bought this online from out of state. No tax was collected. It will be $#!^^y if I have to pay taxes. Oh.. well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I bought this online from out of state. No tax was collected. It will be $#!^^y if I have to pay taxes. Oh.. well.
As long as you have it registered in your name on an out of state registration, you shouldn't have an issue. My Wellcraft in my sig was registered in my name in Arizona and I then registered it in CA and there was no tax.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As long as you have it registered in your name on an out of state registration, you shouldn't have an issue. My Wellcraft in my sig was registered in my name in Arizona and I then registered it in CA and there was no tax.

I bought this from Saturn boats through online. I think they are a Florida business. They have sent me the Bill of Sale. I am the first owner. Do I still pay taxes?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I bought this from Saturn boats through online. I think they are a Florida business. They have sent me the Bill of Sale. I am the first owner. Do I still pay taxes?
More than likely yes. I bought a pontoon boat a few years ago from a dealer in AZ and I was charged the sales tax.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes you will have to pay cali sales tax if none was collected at time of purchase ...