rectifier test

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice
What would be the best way to check to see if my rectifier was working correctly? The reason for this question; My tach does not work, I was also told that this could cause a problem within the charging system. I do have access to the repair manual and the parts manual. I can't seem to find a thread on how to perform this test. The motor is a 1977 70HP Evinrude.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: rectifier test

Procedure for checking the rectifier is in your repair manual. It converts AC from the stator to DC for charging your battery. Since the tach also runs off the stator, if one of the diodes is shorted, it will keep your tach from working. If you have ever connected the battery cables or charger cables up backwards, it is most likely shot. All it takes is a millisecond.

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

Rick & Bill<br /><br />Thank you both for your help. I will be busy on Saturday doing a few tests. This should answer a few questions.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

On the rectifier test from the link that rick provided is missing one piece of information. The meter needs to be set up in ohms but also needs to be in diode test mode. Not all DVMs have this feature. This applies a voltage over .7 volts that allows the diode to turn on when it is forward biased. A standard ohm meter will not do this and you will read no ohms in either direction.