Received a Ray Jefferson 5000M Marine Radio, but don't know how to use it?

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all,
I recently received a Ray Jefferson 5000M Marine Radio. I have never had a radio in the past (I'm mostly in a lake or a small bay), but I feel like it would be really good to have and know how to use. I got it hooked up to my battery and it turns on and everything, but I just don't know how to actually use this. I have two questions about this radio specifically and radios in general.

1) About radios in general: I'm not sure how to use a marine radio. It's a safety feature where I should be able to call for help, is that correct? But what conventions should I be aware of? Is there, like, a channel that I should be on? Things I should say if I'm in trouble? Should I keep it on the whole time I'm out in the water so I can hear if someone else is in trouble? Just looking for general info on how to be a good citizen with this radio.

2) About this radio specifically: I can't find a manual or anything, but is it just a matter of turning it on and setting the right channel and listening? And broadcasting a message using the little handheld controller if I need help? Does anyone know where I can find a manual and/or know how to use these radios in particular?

Thanks!!

dwco5051

Commander
Just for starters; https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Boating/Safety/Marine-VHF-Radio--The-Basics

A lot depends on where you boat. In 35 years of law enforcement on a small 1800 acre inland reservoir I only recall two or three communications on marine band. One was a Coast Guard Aux safety patrol informing us they were on the lake that day and the other was from a sailboat buddy informing us that they had a few extra sandwiches on board as their friends didn't show up for a cruise. My oldest daughter ran a couple of boats out of N Carolina and when I would go out with her the radio was being used all the time with other anglers.

Location, Location and Location as they say in the real estate world.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Couple of issues:
What antenna do you have?

That radio is a museum piece. Don’t be surprised if you have don’t have access to some channels.

Does not have DSC which is the single biggest safety feature of modern VHF radio

List of channels for use

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, all!
@dwco5051 That VHF basics article was exactly what I was looking for.
@dingbat yes, it looks and feels old :) It seems to spin through ~85 (give or take, I forget exactly how many) channels, but seeing as how I'm wanting it for safety reasons, I'm concerned that it doesn't have a big safety feature. Thanks for pointing that out! I'm not sure what antenna I have, but I have two that have been on the boat as long as I've owned it and they're pretty large. I maybe should just buy a modern radio—is it as simple as connecting a new radio to power (just using the same power lines I ran for this one) and the antenna? Any other features I should be aware of to make sure a new radio has?
Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure what antenna I have, but I have two that have been on the boat as long as I've owned it and they're pretty large. I maybe should just buy a modern radio—is it as simple as connecting a new radio to power (just using the same power lines I ran for this one) and the antenna? Any other features I should be aware of to make sure a new radio has?
Thanks!
Personally, I would replace the antenna as while your at it.

VHF Antennas suffer from long term vibration and corrosion issues. You have no idea how it's actually performing, if at all unless you put a SWR meter on it.

Price wise......antenna performance is similar. Your buying longevity going with a higher priced antenna.

From an installation perspective, the critical procedure is attaching the connector to the end of the antenna cable. I would highly recommend going with the "no solder" solution unless proficient at soldering

SternDriveEd

Seaman Apprentice
My wife and I fish a lot on Lake Huron, out of Alpena MI. When I put the boat in for the first time in the spring I ask for a Radio Check. On Emergency Channel 16. That confirms that all is well. I keep it on whenever we’re out and also check the weather on the WX weather channel. Safety feature when on the Great Lakes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When I put the boat in for the first time in the spring I ask for a Radio Check. On Emergency Channel 16. That confirms that all is well.

The Coast Guard Inspections and Compliance Directorate has issued MSIB 20-20 to inform mariners of the proper procedure for performing a VHF radio check.

Please use VHF Channel 09 and do not use VHF Channel 16:​

VHF Channel 16 is not for the purpose of radio checks. Please use VHF Channel 09, which has been designated by the FCC as a boater’s calling channel.

SternDriveEd

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for informing me about Channel 9. I plan to use it when I do the radio check when we launch in the spring.