Rebuilt Water Pump Pee question

MikeCas

Cadet
Finally installed my "new" used lower unit on 2000 Johnson 115. I rebuilt the water pump as suggested. I'm not saying I didn't do anything incorrectly but I was very diligent about making sure the impellor was installed correctly. etc and it seemd to move fine manually., Anyway Motor would not ****. Couple things 1-had it on muffs and 2- I got nervous and only ran the motor for 5- 10 seconds at most. Could it be the muffs are not best option to get the motor pissing? I'm hoping that's the issue. Any feedback would be grealty appreciated. -Thanks all

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
All the Water Passages may take more than 10 seconds to fill
Which 115 do you have, the 99cu in Crossfow, or the 60 degree Looper?
You did make sure the Water Tube was inserted into the Grommet on the Water Pump?
The Key for the Impeller was in place?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The crossflow was last marketed in 1998 so it is a 60 degree looper.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Mike, when running on the flusher, you will see the water being sucked into the motor. Install the flusher and hose, turn the water on, motor off. Observe the water pouring onto the ground. Start the motor-nearly all the water will be sucked into the motor for at least 30 sec.

if that doesn't happen, something is wrong. On those 60* motors, the plastic key locks the impeller to the driveshaft, when you turn it CW. Did you observe that when assembling the water pump?

MikeCas

Cadet
yes 60 degree
Mike, when running on the flusher, you will see the water being sucked into the motor. Install the flusher and hose, turn the water on, motor off. Observe the water pouring onto the ground. Start the motor-nearly all the water will be sucked into the motor for at least 30 sec.

if that doesn't happen, something is wrong. On those 60* motors, the plastic key locks the impeller to the driveshaft, when you turn it CW. Did you observe that when assembling the water pump?
Crap, I did turn Drive Shaft CW a few times but only after installing lower unit so i did not actually see that. Some water was definitely going in because it was coming out of the tiny pee hole on the starboard side of lower unit when I pushed the muffs by hand tightly to the suction screen/port.

MikeCas

Cadet
You did make sure the Water Tube was inserted into the Grommet on the Water Pump?
Pretty darn sure the key was holding, but per Chris1956 I did not turn it CW (at least I don't recall doing that)