Question on Mercruiser 190 engine

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope I am posting this in the proper forum, I appologize if it is not. I have a few questions that I need to ask, as I am new to boating :p <br /><br />I just acquired a 87' Four Winns Sundowner 195 that threw a rod so the block is bad. My question is that I an not sure what the specs of my engine are? It says "Mercruiser 190" on the valve cover, so I am assuming this is a 190hp? It is a 4 cyl engine.<br /><br />Also I have been reading a lot about the 470, could my engine be a 470? I am in need of a new block so I can rebuild, so if anyone has a block for this engine or a complete engine please drop me a line.<br /><br />Any info would be great!!<br /><br />Dazed and confuzed :eek: <br />David<br />Captkid

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Question on Mercruiser 190 engine

could my engine be a 470?
It Most Certainly Is a 470.....<br />With a 4bbl.Carb. is My guess......

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />With a 4bbl.Carb<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />why yes, yes it is indeed :) <br /><br />So can I get just any ole 470 block, or is the 190hp boared out different?

Bondo

Staff member

So can I get just any ole 470 block, or is the 190hp boared out different
Best of My Knowledge, <br />A 470 Block is a 470 Block............

MrDumb

Seaman

Best of My Knowledge, <br />A 470 Block is a 470 Block............
Yes yes yes yes by george i think it is!! Just wanted to do the quote thing too...

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

next question, anyone got a spare 470 block kicking around they wouldnt mind parting with? <br /><br />I am in Maine<br /><br /> :D :D

Bondo

Staff member

Give it a couple days,+ Maybe somebody will have a lead.....<br />I avoid those motors like the Plauge.....<br />But I also don't know of any around my neiborhood.......<br />Sorry.....<br /><br />Welcome to iboats by the way......... :)

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well thank you all for the welcome!! <br /><br />and the hunt is on.... :cool: