Prop damage. How bad is this?

lilroud

Cadet
:confused:Clipped my prop while cutting the grass with my riding lawn mower. Kind of curious how bad it is. I’m worried about vibration that will mess my seals up.

Attachments

• photo287949.jpg
    photo287949.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo287950.jpg
    photo287950.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Minor nick, I doubt you would feel any imbalance. However, just take it to a prop shop and they can fill it in.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The ding ain't bad, but I question whether that blade is bent, by the missin' paint,....

The line of the missin' paint, suggests the tip of the blade is bent, where the paint is missin',.....

If true, I'd get it rebuilt now, rather than later,.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If chipped clean without any visible blade bent next to it, with a fine file, file both chipped blade sides even as to follow the non chipped blade contour. Check if with blade vibration at wot. If so, take to a prop shop and have it rebuilt, or buy new as suggested.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Prayed that would never go damaging my prop when boating, but happened yesterday due to a bad communication between bow man raising the anchor and driver getting out of the hole when moving to a further anchoring position with partially raised anchor which was non bow visible for driver when throttled up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7644.JPG Views:	1 Size:	182.3 KB ID:	10556721

The submerged anchor and chain swung under hull towards lower leg hitting it with a loud bang, immediately throttled back, raised lower leg and found visible damage to prop blades. Once at the marina and with a closer prop inspection, all 3 blades were found evenly shaved, with no chip whatsoever. Luckily prop didn't vibrate when headed back to Terra Firme at full wot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7645.JPG Views:	1 Size:	193.8 KB ID:	10556722

Filed both blade edges sides and upper edge contour with a Dremel Tool, abrasive rotating files and fine alum hand files to finger smooth perfection. Touch up paint will make prop to look as when new again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7646.JPG Views:	1 Size:	220.5 KB ID:	10556723

Blades have lost their upper round portion when new for a square like shape (Yellow lines) after being filed. This prop is a 8.5 worldwide hard to find diam/pitch. My bow man deserves to be fired...

Happy Boating

Last edited: