Prop advice for newbie!!

pat6969

Cadet
Well, I am buying my first boat. A Four Winns H180LE. Sacrafices a few things I think I can live without like the tach, good stereo, glove box, etc.... Read quite a few good reviews so I am going to pull the trigger. So now to my question.

It comes with the Mercruiser 3.0 with 135 HP. The place I am buying from will throw in a high five prop for $300 with a purchase(I am in Canada and the price for the H5 prop is close to a grand). I have 3 kids that love to tube and I occasionally slalom when I can. I heard the top speed is around 45 MPH with the stock prop. I am hoping someone can give me some advice on which prop I should get with the boat. Not sure on what pitch does in relation to the speed and torque. I don't mind sacraficing a couple MPH to get a better hole shot number.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop advice for newbie!!

You will NOT get 45 "GPS" mph from that boat. Especially pulling a slalom ski. And you would never ever want to go that fast with kids on a tube anyway. That prop IS a waste of money. Buy 2 props... a 14.5"x17p and a 14.25"x19p, both in three blade aluminum. $125 each and you have what you need for skiing, tubing and top speed. Been there, done that.

BTW, you may be able to live without a tachometer, but your little engine won't live long if you are pushing it up against a wall. You must have a functioning tach to prevent over revving that engine. Tach's are very cheap at $35 compared to a $2,000 engine replacement. :)

Oh yeah, I better clarify so I don't get flamed here...when I said you won't get to 45mph, that was with the assumption that you have the boat loaded with two adults, three kids, gear, full fuel and a moderate chop. IF you are on glass by yourself with a 1/4 tank and minimal (safety) gear, then yeah, it will do it. With a 21p prop.

Cheers!

pat6969

Cadet

You will NOT get 45 "GPS" mph from that boat. Especially pulling a slalom ski. And you would never ever want to go that fast with kids on a tube anyway. That prop IS a waste of money. Buy 2 props... a 14.5"x17p and a 14.25"x19p, both in three blade aluminum. $125 each and you have what you need for skiing, tubing and top speed. Been there, done that.

I usually ski at about 31-32 and pull my kids around at 20 or so. I was saying the top speed of the boat with a couple people in it was 45. Thanks for the input on the high 5 though. Thought it was the best thing going but obviously I was wrong.

Silly Seville

Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade, but those 5 blade props are really meant for very high horsepower applications. People who insist on using them anywhere else are looking for a band-aid for lackluster performance, or a miracle-fix to increase speed. Speed requires horsepower. Once you have the power, then you consider how it's put into the water. Recreational boats have plowed the water for decades with three bladed props without fail. The four and five blade jobs are just an attempt at reinventing (literally) the wheel.
Save your money and get a tach installed and a nice stereo.

And, Welcome to iboats! We are glad you came here for advice! Sincerely. :)

pat6969

Cadet

I am more concerned about better hole shot performance. Big speed isn't a concern. If I was still in my 20's, maybe, but not anymore. More interested in getting the 3 liter tuned for tubing.

Silly Seville

Ok, now I better understand. I thought one of your goals was top end performance based on your 45 mph figure given. We often hear of guys with 4-bangers who want to run like they have a V-8 in back. I just jumped to the wrong conclusion.

You are correct in wanting that prop IF you need MAXimum holeshot for getting a heavy slalom skier out of the water, or pulling those huge multi-person tubes around with any athleticism, but you will suffer from a decrease in top end, and could potentially redline your engine if you don't have a rev limiter.

The other thing to consider that is very important, well at least to me and a few others here, is that if you dump that much $ into one prop, are you going to be satisfied with cruising around without a spare?

Also, have you ever asked a reputable prop shop how much they charge to fix a bent/broken 5 blade SS prop? Whoo-boy are you in for an education in check-writing.

This is your first boat...get the cheap aluminum props. Trust me. You will have plenty of time later to play with more expensive props when you have moved up to 300hp boats. And you will eventually, because everyone who loves boating gets two-foot-itis! And "I need to go faster" syndrome.

pat6969

Cadet

So what recommendations do you have for aluminum props? Should I stay with a 3 blade or go with a 4 blade? What pitch should I get and what should I expect?

jestor68

Commander

Your best bang for the buck(and quality) would be the Solas Rubex 4 (aluminum) in 14-4/5 X 17.

It's just $118.94 right here. That includes the hub kit and everything needed for installation.

It produces stronger acceleration than a 3 blade, better cruising performance, better speed holding, and turbine like smooth operation.

I have one and recommend it highly. :)

Almost forgot: if you really want to get on plane fast, put a Doel Fin on there. 00441.jpg

Silly Seville

So what recommendations do you have for aluminum props? Should I stay with a 3 blade or go with a 4 blade? What pitch should I get and what should I expect?

From my first response...

Buy 2 props... a 14.5"x17p and a 14.25"x19p, both in three blade aluminum.

I just want to make sure you have a spare onboard for your inevitable first "oops" moment.
Oh, yeah, do not forget to buy a prop nut removal tool...or carry a 1 1/16" wrench around with you! :D

jestor68

Commander

Since your boat will likely come with a 3 blade prop on it, why by another one.

Get the "4" for water sports and keep the 3 blade for a spare. :)

Silly Seville

Go with the 4 blade if you're serious about water sports. :)

Jestor, I am not discounting your experience with the 4-blade, and I'm glad it works so good for you. I'm just wondering if he will see that much of a performance improvement given the utter lack of "sport" that is derived from a 4 cylinder sterndrive. If we were talking about an inboard vessel or even a 220hp V-6 I/O equipped boat, then the design of the 4-blade might be more apparent.

Or maybe I'm just old and crotchety and do not like change! :D

Hey, I know...let's tell him about our favorite engine oil! You go first. :p

jestor68

Commander

The Rubex 4 is recommended for 4, V-6, and V-8 power stern drives.

It's benefits include; faster planing, staying on plane at slower speeds, very smooth operation compared to a comparable 3 blade prop, and better holding in all situations.

It is considered an excellent water sports prop and is marketed mostly for that purpose.

The only down side is the moderate loss in top end speed. :)

My favorite oil is Mobile One Extended Performance. I use it and Z-Max in all my engines, including the boat. :)

There is no reason a 3.0L boat can't be a decent water sports puller. It just needs the right prop. ;)

pat6969

Cadet

Thanks for the posts guys. I think I'll try the Solas 4 blade. Pretty cheap experiment. I will stay away from the High 5. Maybe buy some gear with that money.

Pat

jestor68

Commander

The "FIVE" is also an excellent prop. Not many are sold due to the price.