Pro or amatuer hull repair?

dpar

Cadet
Real newbie here, first boat. Missed out on one I was coming back to compression test and this 1995 FourWinns 5.0 Volvo Penta w SX outdrive and 196 total hrs came up. Everything works. Lake tested, all good, so pulled it out to really go over and seller said his son just called and had another buyer.He had agreed to sell to me today. I bought it without a survey, probably dumb move. Any I came across this (see picture) and Im not sure whats going on, anyone know care to hazard a guess?
20201005_154538.jpg
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

What are we looking at :noidea: Where is it on the hull?
Still not a very good pic, I was laying on ground under boat 4ft from transom.

Attachments

• 20201005_154538.jpg
    20201005_154538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

tpenfield

Staff member
First off . . . will there be a prize for the 'winner' who correctly guesses what this is??? :unsure::D

Assuming that there is . . . my guess is that a PO was going to install a thru-hull sender/transponder (like a depth sender). . . started drilling with a hole saw, then decided not to go through with it. Then did a half-butted job of covering the 'in-progress' hole. Also thinking there may be a pilot hole that got covered up in addition to the partial hole that is showing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my first thought is the original in-dash depth finder was a 2" thru-hull fitting and they removed it.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
If you turn the picture sideways it almost looks like a booger on a bed post......then again, I’m not too good at this game.:oops:

dpar

Cadet
First off . . . will there be a prize for the 'winner' who correctly guesses what this is??? :unsure::D

Assuming that there is . . . my guess is that a PO was going to install a thru-hull sender/transponder (like a depth sender). . . started drilling with a hole saw, then decided not to go through with it. Then did a half-butted job of covering the 'in-progress' hole. Also thinking there may be a pilot hole that got covered up in addition to the partial hole that is showing.
This seems most possible, but drilling a hole in the hull seems idiotic from a depth finder design point of view. It does have the original soft bottom finder that works as designed (poorly) the sensor mounted off transom. My concern is the integrity of the plug. I cant take my gkids out on this boat till I have an expert look at it. Thank you for writing.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
What is the black in the picture? Painted/moldy fiberglass, wet wood plug with a couple of brush strokes of gel coat? Depending on what that is under the couple brush strokes of white will determine if it will end up being a cut it out then inside outside repair, or just an outside repair. Also can you determine if water is leaking through soaking foam that may possibly be on the other side. (Access through a hatch/ or cut an access hole then cover with a hatch.) There is a lot of unknown variables to determine if is safe or how to proceed with a repair.

dpar

Cadet
What is the black in the picture? Painted/moldy fiberglass, wet wood plug with a couple of brush strokes of gel coat? Depending on what that is under the couple brush strokes of white will determine if it will end up being a cut it out then inside outside repair, or just an outside repair. Also can you determine if water is leaking through soaking foam that may possibly be on the other side. (Access through a hatch/ or cut an access hole then cover with a hatch.) There is a lot of unknown variables to determine if is safe or how to proceed with a repair.

dpar

Cadet
I will have to check, my initial assessment was it is metal, definitely not wood, it might be plastic. Not visible thru hatch. Not going to cut secondary hatch just yet. Thanks for your advise.

dpar

Cadet
Just checked the plug, its so plug, its synth plug
I will have to check, my initial assessment was it is metal, definitely not wood, it might be plastic. Not visible thru hatch. Not going to cut secondary hatch just yet. Thanks for your advise.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You might have to cut an access hole in the floor to see the inside, but is it possible to contact the previous owner and ask him about it? Might be that all it needs is a touch of gelcoat and forget about it. Is it flush with the side of the bottom of the boat?

dpar

Cadet
You might have to cut an access hole in the floor to see the inside, but is it possible to contact the previous owner and ask him about it? Might be that all it needs is a touch of gelcoat and forget about it. Is it flush with the side of the bottom of the boat?
Yes its flush, and the previous owner used the boat a tot of 30 hrs in 6 yrs. and new nothing about it. The first owner I cant contact.. thank you.