Pre-Alpha Gearcase proshaft seal

BuzzM

Seaman
I had my Merc pre-alpha gearcase resealed about 1 1/2 years ago. But I recently took a close look at the prop shaft oil seal. It is a rubberized seal, but has a visible constricting spring embedded in the rubber material. Most other shaft seals that I have seen, this would be an inner seal and would require a solid oil seal as the final barrier before the thrust washer. I have lost confidence in my mechanic and feel the need to learn some of these tasks myself. Am I paranoid and this seal
is fine? The fluid had a slight opaque look, but not really milky when I drained it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pre-Alpha Gearcase proshaft seal

Marine gearlube has the ability to suspend a certain amount of water before reaching a threshold where it turns milky. It might have some water with it, or it may just be a little foamy from having recently been run. Did you drain the gearlube shortly after running the motor?

There may be two seals on the propshaft. One facing in to keep the gearlube in, and one facing out to keep water out. There are several sources for those seals and it may not be incorrect the way the mechanic assembled it.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Pre-Alpha Gearcase proshaft seal

I'd hold back on losing faith in your mechanic.Most gearcases these days have two seals on the prop shaft. One with the spring towards the oil and one with the spring towards the water

DHP