Pontoon Transom Cracks - Need Repair?

rice1952

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I noticed cracks on both sides of where the top weld is on the motor pod of my 25' pontoon with a 150HP Merc. I need advice on how to repair and what you would do if it was yours. I took a friends advice and drilled a stop hole at the end of each crack. They are only around the top weld. The welds all the way down both sides and across the bottom look ok to my untrained eye. The boat is 5 years old and I just noticed this. Someone else suggested JB Weld my be a decent temporary repair?

Attachments

• Right 1.jpeg
    Right 1.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Right 2.jpeg
    Right 2.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Left1.jpeg
    Left1.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 20
  • Left 2.jpeg
    Left 2.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 20

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Aluminum is notorious for cracking like that.----Find a good shop to repair / re-enforce that.-----Motor flexes this as it is driving the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
find a welder that does aluminum. (Hint, even your local radiator shop welds aluminum)

Whome ever suggested JB weld is an IDIOT!. do your self a favor and do not listen to that

flashback

Captain
Is your boat rated for 150 ponies, that's some pretty serious stress going on. Be sure to reinforce it when repairing or it probably won't last.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That transom well needs a few reinforcement plates added. Also check for cracks at the mounting flanges to the deck structure.

Have seen many 'toon pods come off in a "catastrophic disassembly" over the years

rice1952

Cadet
That transom well needs a few reinforcement plates added. Also check for cracks at the mounting flanges to the deck structure.

Have seen many 'toon pods come off in a "catastrophic disassembly" over the years
Thanks for your advice. It looks ok everywhere except what I posted (the cracks at the top of the weld). I'll look at getting that re-welded and look into some reinforcement. Don't want a 200 hour engine in the bottom of the lake.

cyclops222

Ensign
A simple piece of 1" X 1" Angle Aluminum with the 90 degree crease joint SLIGHTLY spread apart. So it does not touch the original weld. Would really spread the stresses out. Still need to fill in the cracks you see now.
That joint is not strong enough as originally sized.
I just saw a lot of unwelded spots where plate edges are ...NOT ...welded.
Not sure if they cause the problems.
Can you afford to sell the boat ?

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
jb weld..lol...
just curious if it is trailered often. And if it is, do you use a transom saver.