Pontoon Tie Down

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, so I have spent about an hour now going through the threads to see if I can find a recent one on how to tie down the rear of a pontoon boat. I know there are some trailers which are just as long as the boat, and it is relatively easy to tie the bow and stern of a pontoon down with this style of trailer. My problem is that any idiot can fasten the bow of the pontoon and hook up a safety chain. BUT this idiot can not figure how in the world you can tie down the aft when the only cross member I can use is 5 to 6 feet under the trailer. There is just not a point you can tie the boat to without doing a low crawl under the trailer. I seen the post that said to simply use a long ratchet tie-down, circle the log and fasten the tie-down to the frame, but the next post cautioned about wearing a hole in the log. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Pontoon Tie Down

Mine has a tie down metal loop under the deck on the port and starboard of the rear. I ratchet each to the trailer. If they aren't on yours, just add them.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response guys, but I'm still not getting the picture. I know how to fasten a tie down to the pontoon. I DON'T know where to fasten the tie down on the trailer. The nearest point I can see is about 6 foot under the rear of the toon. I got manufactured lift points on the pontoon., I can install tie down points on the stern of the pontoon... but where in the devil can I fasten it to the trailer without having to crawl under the blasted thing for about six feet?

Jeep Man

Commander

Thanks for the response guys, but I'm still not getting the picture. I know how to fasten a tie down to the pontoon. I DON'T know where to fasten the tie down on the trailer. The nearest point I can see is about 6 foot under the rear of the toon. I got manufactured lift points on the pontoon., I can install tie down points on the stern of the pontoon... but where in the devil can I fasten it to the trailer without having to crawl under the blasted thing for about six feet?

Maybe a picture would help. can't figure out why you would have to go 6' in under the toon. My trailer's back end is pretty much even with the back of the pontoon. If there is no place to tie, it's easy to add.
Also, when you mention installing a tie point on the stern of the pontoon, I assume you mean the deck not the pontoon itself.

ArkieBoater

Cadet

This isn't that great a picture but you can see the tiedown strap goes from the top of the pontoon down to a point on

the lower part of the trailer, one strap for each side. A picture of the back of your trailer might help us figure

out something, if this doesn't help.

Charlie

Attachments

• DSCN0984.jpg
    DSCN0984.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 6

sunkatchers

Cadet

OK, Snap the hooks from your ratchet straps to the cross member before you load your toon. Back the trailer into the water with the straps simply dragging on the ground. Load your toon and pull forward and out of the water. Walk to the back of your toon and there are the straps laying there ready to be lifted off the ground and hooked to you toon.
Ron

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I tie mine down like Arkie does. The trailer came with eyelets and I simply hook one end of a tiedown strap to a lift eye and the other to an eyelet. If your trailer doesn't have eyelets you should be able to add some fairly easily. That's a good looking rig Arkie. Where do you take her?

ArkieBoater

Cadet

I run mainly up on Lake Tenkiller in Eastern Oklahoma, live in Fort Smith area. Thanks for the compliment on the

boat, I have had her going on 3 years now , and I really like everything about the boat. OP, if nothing else, maybe

you could drill some holes in the back frame, down in the area where my tiedown goes, and install some large eye

bolts. You aren't trying to support the whole back of the boat , just tie it down and keep it in place and not sliding

around. Gravity is your friend in this case.

Charlie

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Arkie, nice rig. Your picture demonstrated my description about where the rear of the trailer comes to the rear of the pontoon. Sure, that is an easy way to fasten the tie downs. My problem is my trailer stops just to the rear of the axle. Guess my type of trailer is called the scissors tyep of trailer. I took a picture of the trailer, now I just gotta find my cord to connect to the computer to the phone to upload them, then figgure outhow to post them in the thread.

Keep coming witht he ideas. The one about hooking the straps to the trailer just might work. LOL. Gotta put some more thinking in on that idea.
S7301525.jpg
This is a pic from the rear of the trailer, with the port log slightly behind my head. I cannot see anyplace to fasten the tie down other than the axle, about 6 feet under the boat.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like all the responses on here are from bunk trailer runners. We need to hear from the scissor trailer people. Maybe they don't use a rear tiedown???

Glenn

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Looks like all the responses on here are from bunk trailer runners. We need to hear from the scissor trailer people. Maybe they don't use a rear tiedown???

Glenn

Right. Just saw pics in another thread. L.A., I'm pretty sure Silvertip's boat lives on an underdeck trailer. Might PM him and ask him to take a peek.

ArkieBoater

Cadet

Hey, LA , sorry about making assumptions about your trailer. I have only seen a few trailer like yours around this neck

of the woods, and I have never paid attention to how they are tied down, maybe somebody else has a suggestion.

Charlie

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I'm sure that if enough people read the thread, I'll get an answer. I have to admit my ignorance, 'cause until just a few days ago I didn't even know they had trailers like Arkie's. LOL

cemcrae53

Cadet

L.A. myself and my boys pulled our old 24 ft Kayot with hardtop (aka kite) 1000's of miles with a similar scissor trailer with no issues> We
only fastened boat with bow cable and safety chain. Once you have bow tight against stop she wont move out of water.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

cemcrea53. My friend has one like this also. He says the heck with it and tows it all over with just the winch rope securing the bow and a safety chain. I just think there must be a way to fasten the stern down. From what I here, these things are subject to go air born around semi trucks, and I'd just as soon keep mine on the trailer. LOL. I am pretty sure there are members of the board who has a similar trailer and devised a way to tie it down properly. I'll keep hoping to here from one of them. Thanks for the response, and that from the other guys.