Pontoon or Grizzly???

Critr

Cadet
ari-flag1s.gif
----->
ten-flag1s.gif
<br />When I get to Tenn (TVA lakes :D ) I thought that I wanted a pontoon, something like the Tracker 18' Bass Buggy. My primary uses would be bass fishing, access to remote areas for hunting, and possibly overnight camping when I am out.<br /><br />But after learning a bit more about them (slow, thirsty), I have been looking at the Tracker Grizzly 1860. This utility-style monster is 18'3" long and 7' at the beam.<br /><br />In either case, I think a 60HP 4-Stroke would be a good compromise between cost and speed. The Grizzly can be had with a steering console, gun/rod locker, and other options, including camo paint job. Add some marine plywood and marine carpet, and my imagination runs wild........ :) <br /><br />Anybody had a Grizzly, or anything similar?<br /><br />Pros and cons? All comments needed and welcome.<br /><br />
fdf76191.jpg

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon or Grizzly???

I don't view a pontoon as a hunting/fishing boat although I'm sure some use it well for that. I'm used to seeing them in the "loaded w/people floating around the lake drinking and grilling". Here in middle Ga, lots of folks use jon boats (like the Grizzley) for just what you've mentioned. Some have extensive duck blinds setup on them. A neighbor has one for duck hunting that is all camo, outboard included. My wife asked me why Brian's boat was camo'ed and I told her so the fish would see him ;) <br /><br />There are many other brands of jon boats to shop for, Lowes, Duracraft, and Alum??? (mind just went blank) are real popular. Not knocking the Grizzley, just pointing out other mfr. Do some research on riveted vs all welded also. I would think all welded is better but more expert folks here might can give you a better idea on riveted vs welded.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />BL...

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a litmus test - Pontoon usually has a bimini top. If you don't want the bimini, then a big jon may well do the job.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

Critr

Cadet

The Grizzly is all welded, and the basic Hull weighs 513 pounds. Max rated for 80 HP. Sounds well built. (Expensive, too!) Sounds like one of the better ones, no? I just haven't had time to check out other brands; still stewing over the type.<br /><br />As for the bimini top, well, I thought about that, and figured that on a boat 7' wide you should be able to fit one to it, if desired........... If you can hang a duck blind on them, surely they will handle a bimini top. Know any reason why not?<br /><br />
fdf76191.jpg

Critr

Cadet

I meant to add.... I am envisioning an 8' long platform from the bow to someplace fore of the front of the steering console, carpeted to match the boat carpet, with hatches to access space below, with bass-boat type seat up front, and an electric motor with foot control.<br /><br />That would give lots of versatility, including a flat platform large enough for two to bunk on for the night. A canvas could be fashioned from the bow to cover the sleeping platform, with a float-activated sump pump to eject any accumulation from rain.<br /><br />Maybe I just like projects.... :rolleyes: <br /><br />
fdf76191.jpg

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Critr,<br /><br /> I have a Tracker Grizzly but I have the 1848 which is the next size under what you're thinking of. I run a Yammie 40 on it from a center console. I built my own aluminum floor and carpeted over it. I have had no problems and no bad experiences with it. I run it primarly in two lakes, one is 63 kilometers long and the other is 47. Wind can get pretty stiff in the afternoons and my Grizzly cuts the waves very well and I ride dry and comfortable. If you have specific questions -- fire away and i'll try to answer them.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Grizzly is the way to go...will take much rougher water and has gobs of space to do what you want with......gota kick out of one family that I saw here in Florida when I lived in Orlando. Guy had a Grizzly with a flat floor in it and about 8-10 folding lawn chairs and a barbie hanging over the back, takes out about 10 people(family) and they all live bait fish and barbie on the lake...a tru party barge.......One manufacture makes a 20 footer too, buncha guys down here in south Florida use it as an airboat rescue barge. They winch the broken airboats up over the bow and onto the big john. With a little elbow grease 1"X1"X1/8" aluminum angle and .050" aluminum sheet, ya can build a neet little cuddy or pilot house that weighs nothing for sleeping over nite. Bimini top with curtains would be neet too............<br /> :D

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with a lot of the previous replies. I have both, 24 Ft, pontoon boat and a 14 Ft.Jon boat. The pontoon boat is great for cuising around the (open) lake at slow speeds and of coures drinking and grilling. It's a great boat to relax on and enjoy the company of family and friends. I really would never consider it for a fishing or hunting boat. It's just too slow to get from point A to point B. Another thing is it can't be manuvered in tight areas due to it's size and towing isn't that easy either. My pontoon usually lives at the lake that I use it in the most.<br /> Now the Jon boat is a different story. I have a Yamaha 25HP on it and by myself, this thing will run around 32 MPH. It drinks very little fuel and dosen't mind the tight places. It trailers like a dream. It's easy to unload and load. I know you are looking at getting a bigger boat which is fine. Something that will handle a 40 or 50 HP motor should do you well. I'd forget about the carpet to especially if you are planning on using it for hunting. It is just to hard to keep clean.<br />You can get a non-skid coating in the bottom and just wash it out with a water hose when the hunt is over.<br /><br />Good luck, :)

Critr

Cadet

ari-flag1s.gif
---------------------------------------------->
ten-flag1s.gif
<br /><br />Thanks, guys. So much good information.... Sounds like the Grizzly, or similar may be the way to go. I have looked at sites for Xpress and War Eagle.....<br /><br />But now the bad news! Looks like Tracker has beat me to it! :( Just discovered a package they offer for boat, trailer and Merc motor of choice.<br />The boat is a Grizzly 1754, which is 6" narrower than the 1860, but although a foot shorter than the 1848, it is 6" wider, and rated for 60HP. Comes equipped with welded console with livewell and pump, front and rear casting decks with seat bases, 2 fishing chairs, under-deck storage, gun-rod storage box, helm/buddy seats with storage underneath, trolling-motor bracket, prewired for 12-v trolling motor, bilge pump, and...., well, a few more little goodies. :) <br /><br />Somebody has been thinking, and has this package with almost exactly what I had in mind. Darn!! Takes all the challenge out of it, doesn't it? :rolleyes: <br /><br />
fdf76191.jpg