Polishing advice

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, so I've decided I'm going to clean, polish, wax my Four Winns. I've read through a lot of the posts to get a general idea of what I need, and decided I'd ask a few questions before I order what I need to do this right. It turns out the polisher I got for xmas is NOT good for this, as it's just a cheap "Simoniz" model (not random / not dual action)

The boat has some light oxidation, and the black stripe shows some minor looking scratches. When waxed, it does look better very temporarily, and the scratches just come back out within a few days.

I think what I need is a DA polisher (looking at picking up a porter cable 7424xp) some wool buffing pads, some polishing pads, and some "pure" polish?

I will clean the boat well 1st, then polish, then wax?

Any particular polishes / brands that you guys here in the dry dock recommend? ...and approx how much will I need to do up a 26' boat?

I don't want to waste any more money, so any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated...

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Polishing advice

i like the Mequiars FIBERGLASS OXIDATION REMOVAL KIT if you look at my restore link in my signature it will take you to my results I think page one or two of the thread. I did it in my garage and hadn't had it out until last weekend I liked the way it worked and its has been about 3 months and still has a good finish. I did notice there is a few spots that are not even I blame that on myself cause it was not a well lit area and I couldn't really see it that well to see if i was ready to move on to the next step. On the side next to the garage wall wasn't as good as the other side. I also used the porter cable polisher you are looking at I would recommend it. If you go to my thread you can see what i used and the results. Some here will tell you to go after it with sandpaper to make it last. I cant say if that would be needed or not mine has held up so far so time will tell.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Polishing advice

i like the Mequiars FIBERGLASS OXIDATION REMOVAL KIT if you look at my restore link in my signature it will take you to my results I think page one or two of the thread. I did it in my garage and hadn't had it out until last weekend I liked the way it worked and its has been about 3 months and still has a good finish. I did notice there is a few spots that are not even I blame that on myself cause it was not a well lit area and I couldn't really see it that well to see if i was ready to move on to the next step. On the side next to the garage wall wasn't as good as the other side. I also used the porter cable polisher you are looking at I would recommend it. If you go to my thread you can see what i used and the results. Some here will tell you to go after it with sandpaper to make it last. I cant say if that would be needed or not mine has held up so far so time will tell.

Looks like a decent kit for the price...your boat looks good. Nice job!