Picture where water was mixing with the oil

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rebuilding motor from the thread is my boat jinxed?

Attachments

• Picture 001a.JPG
    Picture 001a.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Picture where water was mixing with the oil

Howdy,

difficult to say......This might not be the forum to ask that question....:rolleyes:

zbnutcase

Commander

Hard to tell from that angle, but I've never seen one crack there. 'nutcase

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats exactly where mine went 2 years ago, 3.0

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Definate sign of water intrusion. But! if it were me and have went as far as you have with this motor and $ invested I would be going over every nuck and cranny for any other possible underlying issues that may arrise in the future (god forbid) but good luck oh yea a good cleanup and a 10.00 can of black paint and she'll look brand new.

cr2k

Captain

I would have it magnafluxed to be sure. It may be stichable if it is a minor crack. Also from pic could be bad head gasket?

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be smart and scrap it.

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

is that some kind of high compression pistons?

my merc pistons does not look like that, they have a bowl on them..

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be smart and scrap it.

lol

poster states all was checked !

head block etc !

So I rebuilt my motor 1995 Mercruiser 3.0 LX , now that I am assembling it I noticed that the water was leaking from the head gasket near the number 4 cylinder and seaped in through the cover of the lifters into the oil pan. This problem had me baffled because I sent the block, heads and manifold the get checked and they were all good. So anyway now I have a new motor. I'm posting this for anybody who has water mixing with the oil, you'll probably want to check the cover for the lifters to see if its leaking through there.

fish

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be smart and scrap it.

Hold on there, Looks like the leak is from up top, might be a blown head gasket. Why tell the guy to scrap it when we don't know the cause yet?
Too many people on this forum are quick to yell REPLACE IT!! when a quality repair will do.:confused:

But! if it were me and have went as far as you have with this motor and $ invested I would be going over every nuck and cranny for any other possible underlying issuesl

Thats a job for your local machine shop, he has a trained eye and the equiptment.Tear down the rest of the motor to see if there are any other surprises.;)

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sent the block, head and manifold to get them pressurized to see if they were cracked and they were good. The problem I'd say was a blown head gasket and a leaky lifter cover gasket which by the way was only silcone with a lot of rust where it was leaking from.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Victor 1 if you saved your old head gasket and did not ruff it up too bad taking it off you should be able to see the spot where it was leaking !

im sure it would give ya peace of mind to see exactly what it was ..

fish

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya ....if block and head test OK got to be head gasket if that was where the water was actually coming from ???

For sure you had a leak in the pushrod/lifter galley cover (top rear) . That's clear from the picture.

what is a bit strange is that usually water leaks from blown head gaskets are at the front or rear of the engine and not along the sides of the block..

is it possible the engine got soaked in some other way ...like hatch open during a downpour, or hose leak etc ??

when you pulled the head was there water in any of the cylinders ?

:confused::confused::confused:

a70eliminator

Captain

That looks like a classic head gasket failure, it's easy to see it breeched right there at the water passage. looks like it had been leaking for a long time.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK lets assume for a minute that the water in the push rod gallery came from a leaking head gasket.

I'd agree with the preceeding post except that the stain on the deck is eminating from a head bolt hole ..... the water passage hole is the small hole between the push rod holes and is in line with the center line of the cylinder. No stain there !!!

maybe the head is cracked and slightly warped so it may pressure test OK but give problems when torqued down .....

put the head on a flat glass surface and stick some pieces of paper under the ends of the head and and the center of the head .... if you can pull the center piece out you have probably found your problem.

whether this works or not I would be very suspicious of the head bolt hole ...either in the head or the block itself ...... as was said before this leak has been going on for a long time so could be a tiny crack that only opens under heat ...... I would not assemble the engine till you get to the bottom of this.

suggest

a70eliminator

Captain

I'm probably wrong but it sure looks like the leak eminated from the water gallery, breeched through the head gasket filled that shallow crevice on the deck and layed there till it penetrated the pushrod cover gasket, I think it happened over time and an external gasket failure like that would not have effected engine performance.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know if these 3.0 are known for head gasket problems.

Also anyone with antifreeze in the engine, utilizing a freshwater cooling system would have detected a heat gasket failure sooner by being able to monitor the engine coolant. Also you are not going to freeze your engine block during cold weather, you just have to make sure and drain your manifold and riser. You keep your block in good shape for rebuilding if necessary.
I put a cooling kit on my 3.0 and love it. Wish I could have gotten a kit that was full system including the manifold and riser, but I could not find such a kit for the 3.0.

a70eliminator

Captain

You really should start a new thread rather than hyjacking "victor's" thread.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Victorc1 ......can you send a pic of the head deck or the gasket top .... Want to see if there is a stain going from the water passage hole in the head deck ...its the one right below the spark plug hole .......to the hole that the head bolt goes into. If so BINGO ....we have the answer !!!....:D