Phoebes and nesting sites.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Three years running, now, a pair of phoebes have built a nest ON TOP of the wren house hanging on my front porch. Each year I have destroyed the nest when putting the house up for the winter (to keep wasps from using it as a hibernating spot).<br /><br />Also, there is a phoebe nest on my kitchen window sill that has been renovated and reused each year for several years.<br /><br />Is it likely that these are the same two pairs of phoebes, coming back each year?<br /><br />If I don't destroy the nest on the wren house is it likely that the same pair will use it again next year? The nest on the roof doesn't seem to bother my wrens, they use the house anyway.<br /><br />I welcome any info on this from our many ornithologists. :)

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Phoebes and nesting sites.

I have a nest of Phoebe's in my garage. It is up in the joists for the attic. They have been there for 7 years now. Probably not the same mother bird, but it has to be her offspring (there is no way any bird would find this nest if it hadn't been born there).<br /><br />I have to leave the garage door open during the day and I open a window at night so she can come and go. I have 3 babies in the nest right now. The only problem I have with them is they deficate outside of the nest, so I have a spot that I cant store anything for a month out of the year.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am no, whatever JB said, but this is what I found out about them.<br /><br /><br />RANGE: Breeds from northeastern British Columbia and west-central and southern Mackenzie to southwestern Quebec and central New Brunswick, south to southern Alberta, southwestern South Dakota, central New Mexico, and central and northeastern Texas across to northern Georgia and North Carolina. Winters from central Texas, the Gulf States, and Virginia south to Mexico and southern Florida; casually from Oklahoma, southern Ontario, and New England. <br />STATUS: Common. <br /><br />HABITAT: Generally occurs near fresh running water in partially wooded habitats; frequents woodland edges, wooded ravines and cliffs, farms, and suburban areas where natural or artificial ledges are available for nesting. <br /><br />SPECIAL HABITAT REQUIREMENTS: Cliffs or ledges at stream-side clearings, or structures at forest openings for nesting. Perches 5 to 15 feet high for feeding. <br /><br />NEST: Nests on a ledge, usually sheltered above by an overhang, on natural or artificial structures, and generally near lakes or streams. May nest under bridges, culverts, or eaves of buildings, on cliffs, rock bluffs, or in ravines. Frequently uses nests from previous years, but is very adaptable in its nesting habits. Frequently the victim of cowbird parasitism. <br /><br />FOOD: In late winter and early spring, subsists mainly on seeds and wild berries; at other times, feeds on insects, usually hawking them from a perch.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At my place, they favor building on top of floodlight fixtures. I have two like that on the main house and one on the shed.<br /><br />The good news is they really scarf up the caterpillars in season.<br /><br />I leave them alone for that reason.<br /><br />Jinx