Painting question

brc1981

Cadet
Painted my old fiberglass john boat with Rustoleum marine paint (roll and tip method). Primed first with Rustoleum marine primer and then did 3 coats with the paint with a wet sanding in between coats. The boat has been sitting on the side of my house up side down for the past two weeks. Flipped it back over and put it back on the trailer. However, I noticed the paint has already started to lose its glossy sheen on one side that gets more sun in the evenings. In a couple weeks after the paint has had a full month to cure will waxing bring back the shine or should i go ahead and flip it back over and slap on a 4th coat of paint?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Painting question

Couple of questions - did you apply the final coat during a humid day?
How long did you let the previous coat dry?
What did you use for thinner?

brc1981

Cadet

I painted on some very nice low humid days we had a couple weeks ago. I let each coat dry at least 24 hrs between some longer and didn't thin the paint as the can said not to if using roller/brush, and it was already some pretty thin stuff to begin with, not nearly as thick as regular Rustoleum paint.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Just let it sit and see what happens. I don't feel the 4th coat will do you any good. As far as waxing is concerned it shouldn't make a big difference in the shine - especially new paint. So right now it is just a wait and see attitude. Possibly some of the paint chemicals are trying to leech / fume out causing this to happen. That is usually the case when one rushes the job and the prior coats don't have adequate time to " do their thing" - if you will.
Doesn't appear to be the case here. It will all work out in the long run.

brc1981

Cadet

Thanks.

This kind of stuff is new to me. I talked to my father and he seem to think that it was just the paint curing at different rates due to half of it getting hotter in the sun than the other half, and pretty much had the same reply to just wait and see, as it will all likely look the same after it has all fully cured.

Guess I'll give it a couple weeks and go from there.