Painted Metal Flake Boot Stripe Repair

AndoC

Recruit
Planning to repair damage to a painted, metal flake boot stripe on my 2018 Chaparral. Have paint and metal flake on order from my local Chap dealer. It is red paint and separate flake, not colored flake to be mixed with clear gelcoat. I can probably figure out the paint and flake once I receive but don't know if it should seal with a standard clear coat for paint (like automotive) or clear gelcoat? Can not find exact "how to" online, wondering if anyone here has experience with this type of repair. Newbie here but thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rydeyz

Recruit
Crud, I guess nobody else knows either. Have you reached out to Total Boat? They can probably give that technical assistance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I had thought most metalflake was paint. It was base coat, flakes and topcoat. Of course, my knowledge is 40 years old.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Don't use gel over paint.

Metalflake polyester resin & clear gelcoat would be preferred.

You ordered PAINT from Chap?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Odd I have been researching this for about 2 weeks what I gleened was use clear gelcoat put flakes in that after shooting color do flakes then do a couple coats of clear over that and supposedly you will have many years of use, I have not done this myself yet , not to that step but will be soon :)