Paint...

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gonna be painting the hull of my boat. What kind of primer/paint do I need??? Is there anything at Home Depot I can use in an effort to save some money???

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Paint...

Gonna be painting the hull of my boat. What kind of primer/paint do I need??? Is there anything at Home Depot I can use in an effort to save some money???

A little more info please.. Glass .. alum..whats on there right now.. Pics..

YD.

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat is fiberglass (1975 Checkmate MX-15). The paint that's on it now is brushed on "whatever brand paint" done by the previous owner. It's a pretty bad job OR it could be that it was done so long ago. Again...if there is anything that Home Depot sells that would work please share.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I painted topsides on my trihull runabout last year with rustoleum enamel available at blowes or home de pot. There are much better options out there, but it worked and looks decent. I applied with roll and tip method...sanding for many hours before paint. Its only been a year but holding up well to knicks and scratches. Again....I only did topsides, unsure if it would hold up on the hull.
manatee topside.jpgmanatee topside painted.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Its all in the prep.

Yup..Rusto from HD. Never used it myself..but some here say it works well for a cost affective job.

Search the forum to find pros/cons and application guides :) .

good luck .. post some pics of your progress..

YD.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the little diameter foam type rollers worked very well for applying. :) Followed up with a very light sweep with a quality brush to pop any bubbles.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just a hint....... tractor supply sells enamel hardener and if added to the rusto paint it will make it tougher ;)