overweight trailer

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a very good condition single axle roller trailer rated at 2500lbs, I'm looking at a boat that has average weight of 3800(according to manu). What would you think of using that trailer for this boat, the circumstances would be one local trip of 5 miles to drop off in spring and haul out in fall. No hiway.
If the trailer is insufficient as is are they any economical improvements I could make to increase trailer cap? Thanks

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer
Re: overweight trailer

It will probably do what my old trailer did and bend the axle to where the tires are no longer straight up and down. Mine was from overloading the boat with gear and driving on the highway for hours at a time. You might be able to upgrade the axle for a couple hundred bucks. My new one was only around $300. But you could also probably find a dual axle for not much more if you look around.

NYBo

Admiral

Extremely bad idea. Get a proper trailer.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

I have a very good condition single axle roller trailer rated at 2500lbs, I'm looking at a boat that has average weight of 3800(according to manu). What would you think of using that trailer for this boat, the circumstances would be one local trip of 5 miles to drop off in spring and haul out in fall. No hiway.
If the trailer is insufficient as is are they any economical improvements I could make to increase trailer cap? Thanks

The trailer capacity is largely set by the axle capacity (which is set by the spindle size). A 2500 pound axle is really wimpy, you wouldn't want to put a 3000 pound boat on it much less 3800 pounds.

-E

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The trailer will be over loaded by about 60%. Chances are good that running over one good pot hole will bend or break off an axle. The chances of trashing the boat in a roll over or being struck by another vehicle due to a break down are much greater than if you use the right trailer.

To upgrade, the springs, axles, wheels and tires will all need changing to a larger size. Maybe even additional frame support.

Probably better off selling the trailer and buying one of the right capacity used.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't do it buddy. You say the "average" weight of the boat is 3800#s. Add up the weight of a full tank of fuel, a couple batteries, an anchor or two, and whatever else you might have in the boat. The weight number will climb very quickly. Even if you are planning on towing only twice a year. . . . . i guess where I'm going is why limit yourself?
I would guess that a proper trailer for that boat would be a tandem axel. A tandem will tow WAAAAYYYY better any way, even if it is only a couple miles.

Good luck

Last edited:

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input, after reading axle breakage, roll over and struck by other vehicle, it's time to go shopping for a double axle!