Outdrive oil leak

oldfart

Cadet
Hi All. I posted awhile about the outdrive reservoir<br />losing oil. I had the outdrive pulled and pressure checked before and after replacing the impeller. It <br />passed the pressure test both times. Aftet draining the block and manifolds(350 V8), the water coming out the drain was mixed with oil. I have looked and tried to follow the hose from the reservoir down and I can't get to it. The inside of the boat is black and there are the two hydraulic hoses from the power steering there also. I need a 3 ft. midget to follow the hose. Where and how is the hose connected? I saw the hole/valve on the outside of the gimbal assembly when the mechanic pulled the outdrive. I have looked in my Clymer book and they only show the reservoir. Short of taking it back to the mechanic, can anyone tell me how the hose is connected. Thanks

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outdrive oil leak

I'm not familiar with the others makes, but if its a Mercruiser--<br /><br />The outdrive is probably fine. It is a totally seperate system from the engine or anything else like the trans. & engine are in a car.<br /><br />The power steering is a seperate system too, like a car. There is the pump, the lines going to & from the steering box or assist device,,,, that's it.<br /><br />If you're getting oil in the water you drain from the engine or its manifolds---- that oil can only be coming from the engine itself. And, there's a real good chance the oil in the engine will have water in it too.<br /><br />If that's the case, you need to start looking for a blown head gasket, maybe a frozen & cracked block or head, or something along those lines. If I didn't have to bet more than a beer or two, I'd figure it was a bad/blown out spot on a head gasket.