Outboard size to boat size

I was wondering if someone could tell me the proper size outboard to use with a 14' V-Hull?<br /><br />This is an older boat that does not have the rating listed on it anywhere. Thanks for your time.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard size to boat size

Moving to General Outboard

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pat, It depends on how heavy your boat is and how well its made. A 9.9 or 15hp is fine for a light 14' footer. Its not uncommon to see some of the heavier well made boats like Grunman and Crestliner running 20hp or 30hp. You probably can't go wrong with a 15hp. The average 15hp weighs around 80lbs. and will plane most 14 footers without a prolblem. One thing to keep in mind if you are looking for a motor is shaft length. Motors are available in 15" (short shaft)and 20" (long shaft) shaft lengths. Measure your transom to find out what length motor you need and good luck finding a motor. Ebay can be a good place to look for a used motor. Hope this helps

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

What make, model and year is your boat? Only boats manufactured after November 1972 were required to have a BIA ratings capacity plate. Before then, many manufacturers still gave maximum ratings or reccommended horsepowers, although it wasn't on a plate. You can often find this information listed on old brocures. You can visit Fiberglassics and see if a brocure for your boat is there.<br /><br />Without knowing specifics on the boat, it is impossible to tell what a good or safe horsepower would be. For example, a 14' tinny may only be rated for 9.9 or 15 hp, but the mid 70's Glasspar G3 (14' fiberglass runabout) was rated for 95 hp.

The boat in question is a 14' V-Hull Richland that was manufactured in 1974. It is an open boat that has been decked out.I would estimate it to be at least 400 lbs.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

With that weight a 30 hp would be fine.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure your transom is strong enough to handle a 30hp. :D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind if decks have been added to the boat<br /> it takes away from the total capacity.If you give us the demensions, actual length,beam,transom width,deepest depth.transom overall height and motor mount height, we can get an idea where you are at for capacity and horse power.Would be a good idea to give us the modifications done as well.

Thanks folks for all the helpful advice. I recently got a sweet deal on a 20 HP Johnson outboard that only needs very minor repair and it doesn't effect the running of the motor. I hope to have it out and fishing next week. My next question is this. Can anyone tell me what years a Johnson FD-20C was produced?