Orangish layer on boat will not come off

Ajm1204

Cadet
Hello. I have an ebbtide boat. Fiberglass gel coat. I have the tan/orangish layer on the bottom of the boat. I tried everything I know of on it. Instant haul cleaned and on/off. I can scratch it off with my fingernail. Takes effort though. A boat shop said to use a razor blade carefully. Also tried different brushes Any thoughts? Thanks in advance8447B373-4567-42B8-A8F2-278F3FAA1BFB.jpeg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No need to use anything other than oxalic acid and a garden sprayer. Disappears like magic

Rinse trailer down with water before spraying

Ajm1204

Cadet
I was looking. The Instant hull cleaner and on/off products I used have that oxalic acid in it. And they did not work. Is there a specific product you were thinking of? I assume it is more concentrated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was looking. The Instant hull cleaner and on/off products I used have that oxalic acid in it. And they did not work. Is there a specific product you were thinking of? I assume it is more concentrated
straight oxalic acid. mix per instructions.

hose on, do not let dry. hose on again... do not let dry..... hose on again. get stiff brush and long rubber gloves and start scrubbing. re-wetting as needed.

if you need something stronger, get muratic acid from the pool store. however you will need to cover your trailer with plastic.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I was going to say use Hydrochloric Acid, but Scott beat me to it. Make sure to wear proper PPE.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
This is what want I use. 1/4 bottle to a gallon of water in a garden sprayer.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You mentioned Muratic, which is Hydrochloric

In Grade 11 or 12 Chemistry, I remember taking Hydrochloric Acid, and Sodium Hydroxide, mixing the Two together, then after testing the PH, taking a sip. Salt Water

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Try Hydrochloric Acid, just make sure to wear PPE and have adequate Ventilation

briangcc

Commander
Rubbing compound may take that off. Going to have to keep switching pads so you don't grind in the gunk to your hull. Wax afterwards.

tpenfield

Staff member
There is a product called "Iron Out" . . . not sure which acid it is, but it may be worth a try.

You can find Iron Out at many hardware stores.

EDIT: another thing you could try is 'descaler' (Barnacle Buster, etc) I believe it is phosphoric acid, it dissolves lime/calcium scale