Opinions on this rot?!?!?

boatboy11

Recruit
i'm in the process of refurbishing a '76 Cruisers Yachts Seafarer. Started last summer and its been one hellava project. the newest problem is this rot we discovered deep in the bilge. i found these soft spots by tapping a hammer and then investigating further. My questions are how to fix, how much to rip up and replace, and is it worth fixing or is it a hull loss? i had already planned on replacing part of the stringers. Your opinions on the situation are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 0701001949a.jpg
    0701001949a.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0701001950.jpg
    0701001950.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0701001951.jpg
    0701001951.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0701001952.jpg
    0701001952.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0701001949.jpg
    0701001949.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Opinions on this rot?!?!?

Wow, that looks bad. I would test around the hull with a moisture meter before making a decision to scrap or replace. That would give you a better idea of how much of a rot/saturation problem you actually have.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is a fiberglass hull, then that rot is not a big deal - is it fiberglass or wooden boat?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

If you want to restore the boat....keep going. in for a penny ....in for a pound. Since you planned on stringer's you are going in the right direction.

boatboy11

Recruit

If it is a fiberglass hull, then that rot is not a big deal - is it fiberglass or wooden boat?

yes the hull is fiberglass. although it is something like a honeycomb technique with some type of wood fiber in between the two layers of glass. that is what is rotting here.

The rot seems to be generally near the keel of the hull, further out from the keel it is strong and fine. another problem is that half of the keel is covered by the floor of the interior cabin, so to check or replace that requires removing that floor, which is spongy anyway, then, i'm worried i'll compromise the strength of the cabin by removing its floor and not being able to replace it in a sturdy way.

Bob_VT,
my mindset exactly!

WingedWheel,
good idea, will do.

drewpster

Commander

Its a big job, no doubt, but possible. It all depends on how far you want to go. I am facing the same job on my 69' Revel Craft. Re-coring the hull is basically going to mean completely stripping the inside of the hull to the outer skin. Cleaning and grinding the interior of it, laying in new core and reglassing it. Then build up from there with new stringers, bulkheads and wings.
One huge challenge is supporting the shear weight of the structure with all of the supports removed. This is compounded in larger boats. How big is yours? I assume you are working in a larger boat. The example below is on a small 16 foot runabout. My Revel Craft is 24' and much larger.
Picture this on a large scale.
DSC01399.jpg

I build this hull form to support the hull so that it would keep its shape.

DSC01403.jpg

I flipped the structure back over on its top and it rested in the form until all the glass work was done.
Imagine that on a big boat! One option would be to do the work in sections supporting the hull in sections as you go. Bur it is definitely going to be a challenge. I have researched cored hulls and looked at some projects were sections of rotted core were replaced, but never a complete hull. Its pretty intimating, but it can be done. Another option would be to build temporary supports on the inside of the hull. But that is going to mean working around them as you remove the rotten stuff and replace it.
I do not look forward to re-coring that big old boat. But knowing me, I;ll do it anyway. If you decide to tackle yours we can share the pain. :mad:

drewpster

Commander

BTW- I have seen the honeycomb core material you are talking about. In the old days it was used to conform to the outer wall of the hull's skin then glassed over to form the complete hull. It was ridged, strong and light, but prone to water intrusion and rot. It is still available (the name escapes me). I will probably go back with endgrain balsa to re-do mine.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, but all I have is bad news.

That hull is a balsa core hull. That means the hull is end grain balsa wood cut into little squares and then fiberglass is laminated on each side. Compare that to a traditional fiberglass hull that is solid fiberglass and no wood inside.

The problem with a wood core hull is that the rot, especially extensive rot, has completely destroyed the hull from the inside. The inner and outer layers of glass are not strong enough on their own to support the weight of the boat if one layer of glass and the rotten core are removed to make repairs. It is kind of like a unibody car where the entire unibody is riddled with rust holes. Just not worth repairing.

The traditional solid fiberglass hull often has stringers glassed to the hull to add strength. When these rot, they can be removed and new ones installed. The hull itself is not damaged, and the supports can be removed and replaced without fear of the hull collapsing on itself.

If the motor is good, my suggestion is to save the motor and trailer, strip the hull of all hardware, including motor controls, steering cable and helm, running lights, bow rails, fuel tank, anything made of stainless steel, etc. Then go find a good boat that needs a motor. Sell what you don't need on ebay and use the proceeds to finance repairs on the new boat.

Well, there is good news. The good news is you won't be wasting time and money on a boat that will fall apart if you try to fix it. And you will be on the water that much sooner.

BTW, there were two wood core hull boats on the forum that were being restored. Both had rot in the core, and when cut open, the rot was extensive. Both boats ended up being hauled to the dump. I have not seen a rotten wood core hull be successfully repaired. (not including Drewpster's work in progress. He can pull it off. :D)

drewpster

Commander

I have NOT however decided whether it will be worth the effort and expense yet. Mine may be dump bound yet. You have to decide that for yourself. As I said, it is a big job, both in time and money.
The question is, "Is the house worth rebuilding, if building a new one is better." (my Dad)

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a bad dream to me. I have replaced floors in two of my boats and one bad stringer in one of them, but both of these boats were full fiberglass hulls. Hope it all works out.

Good luck!

boatboy11

Recruit

well i did it. took a month and a half but the entire hull is now secure and sound.

Attachments

• hull done.jpg
    hull done.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Looks good! Got more pics? What did you core with?

boatboy11

Recruit

sorry no more pics, it was messy and exhausting. i recored the entire back half of the boat, inside the cabin i recored 60% of the right side hull. there was a hole in the bow that let water in and seeped all the way to the strern. I used 1/2'' balsa, 6-8 gallons of west and MAS epoxy. about 15 yards of cloth. new stringers. all covered in interlux bilgekote. good stuff. new transom as well!

I removed tons of soaked and moldy foam, im not planning on replacing, and objections??

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a big job, no doubt, but possible. It all depends on how far you want to go. I am facing the same job on my 69' Revel Craft. Re-coring the hull is basically going to mean completely stripping the inside of the hull to the outer skin. Cleaning and grinding the interior of it, laying in new core and reglassing it. Then build up from there with new stringers, bulkheads and wings.
One huge challenge is supporting the shear weight of the structure with all of the supports removed. This is compounded in larger boats. How big is yours? I assume you are working in a larger boat. The example below is on a small 16 foot runabout. My Revel Craft is 24' and much larger.
Picture this on a large scale.
DSC01399.jpg

I build this hull form to support the hull so that it would keep its shape.

DSC01403.jpg

I flipped the structure back over on its top and it rested in the form until all the glass work was done.
Imagine that on a big boat! One option would be to do the work in sections supporting the hull in sections as you go. Bur it is definitely going to be a challenge. I have researched cored hulls and looked at some projects were sections of rotted core were replaced, but never a complete hull. Its pretty intimating, but it can be done. Another option would be to build temporary supports on the inside of the hull. But that is going to mean working around them as you remove the rotten stuff and replace it.
I do not look forward to re-coring that big old boat. But knowing me, I;ll do it anyway. If you decide to tackle yours we can share the pain. :mad:

Drewp, How did you figure out the contour of the hull? I might have to do that to mine to keep its shape.