One Lugnut is not a "lugnut"...Can't remove

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I have a Four Winns Trailer and one of my tires blew out. That's all fine, it happens, I know how to change a tire. The problem is that one of the lugnuts is not a lugnut at all! It looks like a cylinder that is screwed into it. At the end though (where it's screwed in), there are notches, but a regular crobar won't fit around it.

It's like the last time this tire was replaced, they lost the regular lugnut, and replaced with this crap.

Any ideas out there?

buddybarnhill

Seaman Apprentice
Re: One Lugnut is not a "lugnut"...Can't remove

dont fully understand cylinder like thing take a pic but if i do understand correctly the regular crowbar wont fit it so get a four way or a socket and a wrench and try to get it off if it still wont come off get an impact if it wont come off then your screwed youll have to twist it off bolt and all then replace the stud in the rotor

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sounds like a locking lugnut/wheel lock :eek:

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

Here's a picture of the lugnuts. Obviously, the one on the left is the one I'm concerned about. Thoughts?

Lugnuts.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That is a locking lug. There is a special socket that fits it to prevent theft (or changing your flat if you forget where the socket is).

There is enough sticking out that you may be able to get it off with vice grips, or take an old socket that fits snug and drive it on with a sledge so it can be removed.

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

That is a locking lug. There is a special socket that fits it to prevent theft (or changing your flat if you forget where the socket is).

There is enough sticking out that you may be able to get it off with vice grips, or take an old socket that fits snug and drive it on with a sledge so it can be removed.

Crap, I boght this from my boss (who doesn't have any "special" socket. The other tire doesn't have this locking lug...why couldn't THAT tire have blown. Would an auto parts store be able to help me out with this? I don't have alot of tools, and definitely nothing like an old socket, let alone anything to drive it into the locking lug with...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Get a cheap impact socket from harbor freight that just fits over it and whack it on with a sledge and then remove it and replace with a different lug nut.

Jonathan3206

Seaman

If you take it to any tire shop they can break it loose for you. They deal with those all the time.

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Get a cheap impact socket from harbor freight that just fits over it and whack it on with a sledge and then remove it and replace with a different lug nut.

BINGO, this is how we used to get them off when I worked at the tire shop. Be prepared to fight it a bit though, and you do stand the chance of scratching/dinging the rim, but its better than the alternative

crispins

Seaman

yep thats what I have done. Most of time the socket will be stuck on the nut so you will need to reinstall with as new lug nut

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

If you take it to any tire shop they can break it loose for you. They deal with those all the time.

I can't take it anywhere as the tire is blown, and I therefore cannot tow the trailer anywhere.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Small pipe wrench.

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just gonna have to get a new trailer. Probably a new boat, too...... just the way it has to be- nothing else can be done. Consider this "doctor's orders" if anyone tries to fight it.

BF

Lieutenant

I'd also vote to try a pipe wrench on it... Is there power close by? If so, maybe you could flatten a couple sides of the barrel part with an angle grinder. Then you might (?) be able to get it with a crescent wrench.

If there is a tire shop nearby, maybe they'd do a little roadside help for you for not too much $$... especially if you were gonna buy the replacement tire(s) from them. ?

nlain

Commander

Do you have towing insurance? I am a BoatUS member and I have towing insurance for the trailer. If you have something like that see if they would pay a tire repair shop to come out and get it off, roadside assistance. Maybe even AAA. It cannot hurt to ask if you have something like that.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could you just take the whole hub off with the wheel attached, then take the whole deal to the tire shop. If it doesn't have breaks on the trailer it would be less time to take the whole hub of than to take the rim off. If you don't know how to remove the hub search this site for all the info you would need.

PNW Driver

Seaman

I had the exact same nuts on my pickup and drove off with the socket on the bumper. The is a void behind the end of it between the stud and lug nut. Drill a hole in the end and use an easy out to twist it off. Works like a charm. removed all four in about 30 minutes on my pickup.

BF

Lieutenant

Could you just take the whole hub off with the wheel attached, then take the whole deal to the tire shop. If it doesn't have breaks on the trailer it would be less time to take the whole hub of than to take the rim off.

bing bing, that idea seems like a winner! Be safe.. put it on a jack stand if you've got one...