On patrol

gaugeguy

Captain
I was just sent this photo, it's copied from the "Leatherneck Magazine". That is the GG on patrol. The photo was taken during a Combined Arms Excersize (CAX), probably in 1990 at 29 Palms, CA.<br />
202063.jpg

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: On patrol

Unfortunately not. If I remember correctly it was either may or june. I lived in 29 Palms for 18 months, and there is absolutely nothing like a 5 mile boots and utes run through the desert..."it's a dry heat"<br /><br />Notice there is no pack or radio on my back, so not quite full gear. That flak jacket holds a lotta heat though.<br /><br />Another reason my unit was one of the first ones in Saudi Arabia, because we were already "acclimatized" to desert conditions.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you all hear the one about the young Marine who was late to duty one morning? Well his sergeant called him into his office when he showed and asked him why he was late. The young Marine explained that he and some of his fellow Marines were in 28 Palms last night and had a little mishap with the local law. Well the sergeant said he didn't understand and by the way the town was called 29 Palms. Well the young Marine explained that that was the problem. Seems that he and his buddies had removed one of those palm trees with a fast moving Chevy! :D :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

June? ouch GG! 110 in the shade... oh wait, what<br />shade? now that's some serious training man.

gaugeguy

Captain

MY, The training at Camp Wilson (a remote camp in 29 Palms) isn't the tough part, the sleeping afterwards is. They have these old aluminum quansett huts that you stay in, it's like sleeping in a convection oven. And then about midnight it gets unbelievably cold in the desert, like out of the frying pan into the ice box.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I hear ya GG... I camped in that dessert, once!<br />and it was 2nd week of april and almost died.

aspeck

Staff member

GG must have switched to Geico!<br /><br />Cool pic GG! You da man!

gaugeguy

Captain

Here's the story Aspeck...when that photo was taken, I was a single man with no kids. I was in the Corps for 4 years at that point and the only action I had seen was from a ship when we were ousting Noriega from Panama.<br /><br />They must have looked through the archives to find that picture to put it in the magazine, kinda flattering though.

aspeck

Staff member

GG, all kidding aside, I salute you and all others who have served in any branch of our armed services. Thank-you for protecting our freedoms to bash the president of this great country, to bash the contenders to the president of this great country, and, in general, to speak our minds and go in peace.<br /><br />While in Ghana I was sitting at a restaurant and heard 4 very American male voices behind me order double cheese burgers and fries. Turning around I knew they were serviceman. Wife went over and asked - they were CB's building hospitals in rougher areas in collaberation with the Ghana Armed Forces.<br /><br />We thanked them for their service and told them how much we appreciated them - then bought their supper. First time I ever heard a group of servicemen speechless! They shock our hands and nodded so many times I thought our arms were going to fall off!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

GG,<br />All I got was a big red X. :( <br />I know how that place is in June. I was stationed at Norton AFB from 1987 - 1991. My brother-in-law was stationed at "29 Stumps". His words, ok mine too. We used to go visit him, I didn't like going in the summertime. But at least I got away from the SMOG. :) :) <br /><br />AK Chappy

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Great pic GG. Boy, you look like you're having fun. Not! Thanks for sharing.<br />Bassy

FLATHEAD

Captain

OH BOY! GG is famous! I figure all the hollywood producers should be beating a path to your door any minute. :D :D

LadyFish

Admiral

WOW cool gaugeguy. :) It's a great photo--something about a man in uniform.<br /><br />I'm really happy you saved 70% on Term Life Insurance too. ;)