OMC cobra impeller

dpbj6

Cadet
Hi <br /> Can anyone explain how to change the impeller on a 1989 2.3 omc cobra outdrive and if i change the impeller should i change the water pump.

bigdaddyofhouse

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC cobra impeller

Pull the trianguler cover off the lower unit (3 3/8 head bolts) now you are looking at your impeller housing. take out the 3or4 bolts holding it on and the littel rubber hose and pull it straight off. Now if there are any peices of the impeller missing you will have to back wash the system. Just pull the (feed)hose off the thermostat And shove a gardenhose in it and let it run.Oh yea back at the lower unit were the impeller was stuff a rag lossley in hole on the right so that you dont get any peices down in your pick-up hole.Then move rag to other hole put on muffs and back wash. I would do it several times to be sure all is clear.The housing and wear plte will probably be ok.If the wear plate is wore just turn it over.When you are putting it back togethr use a softsetting brush-on gasket sealer between the surfaces.<br /> Good luck

bigdaddyofhouse

Seaman Apprentice

Beeing your first time doing it (not including back wash)You should be done in 15min.Its that easy.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You don't need to do anything with the water pump.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lube the impeller with some oil or gear lube before assembly. Make sure water is squirting from the vent hole before u start it or u will burn the impeller up. That's what happened to me on 1 st start up this season. New house, different water pressure from the hose.

dpbj6

Cadet

Thanks for the info. but where is the feed house on the thero. that i need to flush

dpbj6

Cadet

As what do i need to buy just an omc impeller repair kit.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Do you have a manual? That will explain what to do and what parts you need.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by dpbj6:<br /> As what do i need to buy just an omc impeller repair kit.
Cash or credit card will do fine. :p