OMC 3.0 Cobra exhaust bellow

taz1127

Cadet
i have a 3.0 cobra the exhaust bellow in stern drive is shot when i look at repair manual states have to pull drive apart to replace anyone know if there is an easier way to replace?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC 3.0 Cobra exhaust bellow

You don't have to take the outdrive apart, you just have to take it off the boat. About a 15 minute job to remove. It should be removed at least yearly to inspect bellows, check alignment, lube ujoints and grease splines on the shaft going into the coupler.
Once you remove the drive, you can access the snap ring on the aft portion of the exhaust bellows.

taz1127

Cadet

any way to do it without taking the outdrive off the boat?

a70eliminator

Captain

Nope can't do it, drive has to come off, why even think about it as don said and I agree a 15 min. job to pull the drive, don't be scared. Oh, you do realize the holes in that boot are supposed to be there.

taz1127

Cadet

not scared just no place or hoist to pull the drive thats all

Don S

You don't need a hoist to pull the drive. If it's up off the ground, put some 2X4's or something under it to take up the space and tilt it back and off.
The thing is, without greasing the coupler splines, you WILL be learing to pull the engine to replace the $300 coupler.

a70eliminator

Captain

I weigh a wopping 145lbs skinny as a rail, I pulled my Cobra and carried it across the garage into my house through the kitchen and down the steps to the basement, rested a couple times but it's not that heavy.

mthieme

Captain

I'd guess the lower weighs around 100# or so. You should have no problem.
Put it in forward, pull the six bolts and the rear bolt for the tilt cylinders and yank her out. (Unless I forgot something!:redface:) She'll probably be a little stiff coming out due to the seal - this is a good thing.
Where the cable connects is a little pocket which sludge likes to build up. Take a second and scoop out whatever may be there.

Don S

It a Cobra outdrive, no need to put it in forward to remove or install it. That's a Mercruiser Alpha/preAlpha thing.

taz1127

Cadet

ok will give it a try during the weekend any special tools or anything? and btw thanks to everyone I appreciate all the help

mthieme

Captain

It a Cobra outdrive, no need to put it in forward to remove or install it. That's a Mercruiser Alpha/preAlpha thing.

It won't hinder anything throwing the Cobra in forward. I can never remember which ones are supposed to be in forward and which ones aren't. I've discovered if I throw 'em all in forward, I don't have any problems. But then, I only work on Mercs and my Cobra.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one of these too. Someone please tell about how to handle/remove the shift cable. Does the full cable adjustment have to be done when the drive is put back?

Don S

Start your own thread Lodgepole, why would you ask a completely different question in the middle of someone elses question.

a70eliminator

Captain

ok will give it a try during the weekend any special tools or anything? and btw thanks to everyone I appreciate all the help

Your going to need a 1 new gasket 2 new orings for the driveshaft and 1 new oring for the water intake, all pieces come in a lower unit R&R gasket set, less than ten bucks.
Your going to want to check the alignment too with an alignment tool, but I'm not convinced it's absolutely necessary if your not replacing anything that effects alignment, but it would be bad advise for me tell you it doesn't need checked. Anyhow thats the only special tool you may or may not need.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Pulling it is easy, getting it back on can be a little tricky but this is something that has to be done, or else. Part of owning an I/O. I built one of these to make it easier, good if you have a bad back--
As noted that ex bellows has a slit all across the bottom, that's normal, no need to replace.
Cobras are left in neutral to R+R
for more explicit instructions see:
www.crowleymarine.com
look in product support, OMC Cobra drives, they have the factory shop manual pix and procedure to follow. Easy, just be careful with the back.

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
  • cobra 2.jpg
    cobra 2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1

taz1127

Cadet

just wanted tol tell everyone thank you for all the help got the bellow on fine everyone on here is awwesome

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'd guess the lower weighs around 100# or so. You should have no problem.
Put it in forward, pull the six bolts and the rear bolt for the tilt cylinders and yank her out. (Unless I forgot something!:redface:) She'll probably be a little stiff coming out due to the seal - this is a good thing.
Where the cable connects is a little pocket which sludge likes to build up. Take a second and scoop out whatever may be there.

Funny you mention the weight!

I'm getting mine ready to ship to it's new owner and I weighed it (less prop)

110lbs (with no oil) ....it holds 108oz ......the one above should hold about 60 oz of oil and should weigh somewhat less....

Cheers,

Rick

a70eliminator

Captain

Good to hear it all worked for you, now you have the confidence to pull the drive anytime you need to.
As for the weight I would have never guessed much over 80lbs. I don't know my own strength, I carried mine down the basement as if it were another 80lb. bag of salt for the softner.