Old time cartoon characters

gaugeguy

Captain
Was having a chat with my son about the cartoons I watched when I was a kid. Underdog, Mighty Mouse, Dudley do-right, and others. I asked him who his favorite cartoon character was..."Sponge-Bob" and his least favorite was "Powerpuff girls" :confused: <br /><br />My favorite was Wiley Coyote, gotta love the determination. My least favorite was Olive Oyl, body of a pipe cleaner with a voice like fingernails on a chalkboard. Popeye was a sailor, he could have done better. She wasn't nearly worth getting thrashed by Bruto.<br /><br />Who/what was your most and least favorite cartoon or cartoon character(s)?

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Old time cartoon characters

I never could understand Popeye either, Olive was just a whinning skinny skank who,imho, liked to see Popeye get kicked around to 'Save Her'

ndemge

Commander

I have a 4yo at home. He's been watching Transformers from a friend of ours that has it on dvd.<br /><br />I was at walgreens one day, and there was a 3 hour dvd of oooold cartoons for $3.00.<br /><br />I always did like Underdog :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, i have to agree that wiley coyote was one determined son of a gun :D <br />Foghorn Leghorn was also a hoot :D

ehenry

Commander

Hmmmm, there were so many....Foghorn Leghorn, Quick Draw McGraw, Deputy Dawg, Yosemite Sam, Elmer Fudd, The Jetson's, Johnny Quest. Race Bannon was a bad a$$. Ofcourse Superman, Space Ghost, Spiderman, Wonder Woman.

SoulWinner

Commander

Foghorn Leghorn...He is great. The other morning in the shower I had my wife cracking talking about Yosmite Sam hitting his camel on the head with the musket "oooooooh.....when I says whoa...I mean whoa!" Elmer Fud and Bugs Bunny doing the operas like Barber of Seville, and the timeless "Kill the wabbit! Kill the Wabbit!" Now that's entertainment!<br /><br />I always root for Sylvester the Cat because I can't stand Tweety. <br /><br />I like the dog that kept trying to get comfortable and sleep, and everytime Sylvester scared the crap out of him untill he was a nervous wreck.<br /><br />My favorite Wiley Coyote was when he was trying to out-smart the sheepdogs. Remeber they were on a time clock? Those were funney.

FSHKPR

Ensign

flintstones and the jetsons!were my favorite but i also liked tom and jerry and sylvester and tweety. and that darn bugs bunny always came out on top.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Love all them Looney Tunes.. Bugs, Daffy, Foghorn, the Roadrunner & Wylie Coyote, Yosemite Sam, Speedy Gonzales, Elmer Fudd, Porky Pig... They will never be topped... :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yogi and Boo Boo, Hillbilly Bears,Speed Racer, Secret Squirrel, and Top Cat were favorites of mine as well as others mentioned already.<br /><br />The old comic strip Katzenzammer Kids was a favorite of mine.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

........Betty Boop........'nuf said! :D

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You'll never believe this, but it's true. My 4th & 5th grade teacher at Robert Louis Stevenson school in San Francisco (circa 1967) was name Patricia Swanson. (hold on that's not the punchline). <br />When she was a kid growing up in Minnesota she had a friend name Charlie Shultz. Yes, the one and only creator of Peanuts. My teacher was the inspirartion for Peppermint Patty. She got her name because she was always sucking on a peppermint, even in class sometimes. Incidently, even as an adult she had short cropped straight blond hair and always wore Birkenstocks or some other kind of sandle. I remember that she owned a brand new 1967 Camero. Just like in the comic strip, she wasn't much for mornings. She had known all of the other kids that were characterized in the comic strip, too including Pigpen (who really was alway dirty), Schroder, Lucy etc. <br />Of course, I was never able to validate that with Charles Schultz, but I had no reason to doubt it. Everything fit.

18rabbit

Captain

I don’t know about Olive Oil…she fits in better today than she did when introduced. She had a kid (Sweet Pea) but was unmarried… Who was Sweet Pea’s father??? :confused:

18rabbit

Captain

Oh, the ones I like … that coyote (Wiley?) that never talks and never gets the Roadrunner…but he does talk in the cartoons where he hunts the sheep and battles the sheepdog. And I like that little guy that ran around with a Trojan brush helmet, often in cartoons about outer space. And there was another character that was a little African kid with a bone in his nose that ran around with a spear always trying to kill something a hundred times bigger than him…but never does…but he was always a pain in the backside with his spear. :) I don’t think you are allowed to watch that one anymore.<br /><br />Another one you can’t watch today is my favorite Disney’s movie, “Song Of The South” with Br’er Rabbit, Uncle Remus … “zippa-dee do-da, zippa-dee-ya, my-oh-my what a wonderful day…” :(

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Casper the friendly ghost, the friendliest ghost I know. That was definitely one of my favorites and I really liked Speed Racer. He was so cute! <br /> ;) <br />Bassy

Stratosfied

Ensign

Johnny Quest was a favorite when I was younger. Now though, Stripperela is my favorite. ;)

SoulWinner

Commander

Song of the South....hmm. I like that one. I also like the few bold fellows who are pirating this on VHS. Disney is too PC to release this movie, yet they give the park to gays and lesbians for a week or two each year :rolleyes: I must be missing something here. Check regional gun shows, that's where I got mine.

18rabbit

Captain

Got mine while in Japan. Not a bootleg. Disney released it there, but not here.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Don't know what the show was called, but those families of Bears in the South (was it Tennesseee?)always shooting each other up. Real Hill Billies. I tell you, from 8,000 miles away, it really did the southern image some good. :D :D Then came the jokes. :D <br />Cheers<br />Phillip

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br />I don’t know about Olive Oil…she fits in better today than she did when introduced. She had a kid (Sweet Pea) but was unmarried… Who was Sweet Pea’s father??? :confused:
Must have been that Wimpy guy (the hamburger man), Bruto and Popeye were always too busy scrapping to have the time to make time with Olive. Can't trust a guy that will "Pay you tuesday for a burger today" ;)