Old Ranger

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have any of you guys fished old Ranger boats. The dealer by my house just took a 1988 364V in on trade. I wasn't even considering a boat that old old, or that short, 17'10". But the condition of this thing is pretty amazing. If I didn't know the model year I would guess it to be a well taken care of 5 year old boat. It's got a 150hp Suzuki on the transom. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the layout. There is no where near the storage space that is available in the newer boats.

Ron G

Commander
Re: Old Ranger

naw there aint that much storage.and they are very heavy!!!!!are you shopping??how much they want for it?

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fish touneys out of my buds '88 19 ft w/ 200 merc blackmax. i love it, real stable, handles rough water well, and it has alot of storage. he also has an extended front deck that he built that comes back to the counsle (single counsle). So storage under that so you can shove jackets and stuff under there plus he added a addional pedistal base for a butt seat.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

We were planing on keeping our tracker for another year. Just happened to be driving by today and saw it. I couldn't believe it when they told me it was an 88'. The boat looks like it's got one season on it. They replaced the electronics with a Garmin 240 on the front, and 250 on the console. Three new batteries and new charger. They also replaced the old trailer wheels with new Ranger aluminum wheels and new tires. They're asking $9800 which sounds a little high for an 88', but it's in great shape.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

This one does have fishing deck back to the console with storage underneath.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This forum is about fishing.

The boat forum is about boats.

Moving.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$9800 seems very high, this buddy i talked about is selling his 19 ft that is also in near mint condtion (2 spots were gel coat is faded) for somewhere around $6000-$7000. $9800 for a 17 ft, what is you dealer thinking?

Ron G

Commander

Way to high!!!!keep on cruising you can find bigger and better boats for that kind of money.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I know. I'm not paying $9800. I'm not even sure I want it. The boat is great. But a 1988 motor, even in like new condition scares me a little. How were those Suzuki's back in 88'?

Ron G

Commander

Hecki didnt even know they made them back then.
i herd they were good on gas but didnt have anty torque at all.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all i know is that is far as dependability and safety goes, you cant go wrong with a ranger, but im sure you could find a real nice champion, skeeter, stratos, or even another ranger for a whole lot cheaper

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

koolerb,

The 1988 364V Ranger.....

My Fishing buddy has a 1987 360V, with a Mercury 150 XR2. He's a Ranger man. He bought the rig new with matching Ranger Trail trailer. It's built to his specifications, including console instrument layout. It still looks new, it's garage kept. When I'm fishing with him we use this boat, so I've fished from it all those years. It's a very nice, high quality built boat, but my personal tastes aren't bass boats..... my boat is a aluminum utility.

Since I've spent countless hours fishing from it, I pick up Ranger brochures at the boat shows. I looked and have 1988 thru 1994 and others. I'm learning as I look at the brochures. The 361V, 362V, 363V, 364V, and 365V are variances of the original 360V which was built for speed, with a unique dual step hull design. The 364V has a minor interior change for a difference, a fold-down deck extension forward of the console. The 362V, 363V and 365V are twin console boats.

I can't say anything bad about his, with plenty of storage for us. It is a shorter boat now by today's bigger Rangers, but is ideal for how and where he uses it. We fish the Mississippi River and can get into small, tight shallows and channels with it, works great, fishes great, but I would expect other comparable boats do the same. He's careful with it but doesn't baby it, we use it hard. Fish all seasons, in snow, sleet, hail, we're out there. He wore out two bow electric trolling motors. The only trouble he had with it was a livewell issue. A filter screen came off in one livewell, but he fixed it himself. Maybe our fish were to big, we do put big pike in them.

The boat is rated 175 hp. max. With the 150 it does 60 mph. It's a thrill and it just crushes rough water with a smooth dry ride, but I expect they all do that. At speed it goes airborne on big roller wakes. That I remember, he paid $18 K for it. I have no idea what it's worth now, it depends on the area where your at. I know he won't be selling his. It's a beautiful boat and it turns heads around here.

You must be young to think a 1988 is an old boat. My boat is a 1968, that I bought new.

The 1988 364V Ranger.

-Capacities-
Persons ................................... 6 or 745 lbs
Total Persons, motor, gear ..... 1320 lbs
Maximum Horsepower ............. 150 - 175

-Specifications-
Length .................................... 17' 10"
Beam ...................................... 88"
Transom Height ...................... 23 3/4"
Inside Depth ........................... 18"
Approximate Boat Weight ....... 1190 lbs

The boat has two 18 gal. fuel tanks.

I doubt the buyer would wish he would have bought another brand of boat. If you want more info, maybe I can post it.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

River - Runner,

Thanks for all the Ranger information, and the "you must be young" comment. That made my morning. With three kids running around the house I'm getting rapidly older every day. I'm the same age as your 1968 boat.

I was shopping for a boat about 5 years old when I spotted this Ranger. It looked so good sitting on the dealer lot I almost fell over when the salesman told me it was an 88'. I'm not scared of an older well cared for boat at all. From the looks of this one I doubt it made out of the owners garage very often. My two hang up on this one are the motor and the price. The 19-year-old motor scares me; I don't know anything about 1988 Suzuki motors. The other is the price; even in great shape $9800 is out of the question for a package that old. I'm just trying to decide weather or not to go over and make an offer or not. In that $7500 to $10,000 price range I could pick up late 90's Nitro, Skeeter, Stratos, etc.