ok i know there are alot of threads on engine alignment but ?????

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a mecruiser with an alpha 1 out drive.

I ordered a new alignment bar i had one that i had made and thought maybe it wasn't right. All the threads talk about looking at the spine makerings on the alignment tool. I cant get the tool even to go into the splines. I have adj my front mount up and down to no avail. Looking at it i dont think the couple moves much if any while i was adj the mount.

also when i took the drive off it came right off with out a problem so i would have thought with that it couldn't have been something to off.

I was hoping that i could get some suggestions to what to try next from you guys

thanks

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: ok i know there are alot of threads on engine alignment but ?????

Before attempting to insert the alignment bar, ensure that the gimbal bearing is square in its spiracle housing. I know it's tight in there but a six inch scale laid throught the bearing's bore will give a pretty good sight line to the coupler.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when trying to align the gimbal bearing will it move a noticeable amount i have tried whacking it and it doesn't seem to move at all

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The inside of the gimbal bearing moves seperate from the outer ring. It's why the bearing is a gimbal bearing. You can turn the inside to where the alignment bar misses the center of the coupler completely.
Get your head back in there and look where the back of the coupler is and have a helper put the bar in and see why it's missing the coupler.
After all you have moved, once you find center of the gimbal bearing, then you have to align it.
This thread may also help. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2971085

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks i have finally got the gimbal bearing aligned. I had not greased it, once i greased it gave it a good whack and pow it moved. That is the way i thought it was suppose to work but i just couldn't get it to move. OK now i have got the alignment tool in and the engine seems to be fine with the alignment but i still cant seem to get the out drive to slide on. Any other suggestions to get it on or what i may be doing wrong??

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

A couple of thoughts...

First, if your gimbal bearing was so stiff from lack of grease that it would not budge, then it is time to replace it, not just grease it.

Second - when you say the outdrive will not slide back on, what do you mean exactly? Is it just the last inch or so that is binding? If so, there is an o-ring on the drive shaft that needs to be lightly greased as well. It needs to go through the gimbal bearing. Even with grease, most drives will need a good swift kick to "slide" into place.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Did you have the drive in forward when you took it off? Look under drive where the shift mates up.

Don S

I had not greased it, once i greased it gave it a good whack and pow it moved.

If you had to give the alignment bar "a good whack" to get it in, you are still way out of alignment. The bar should go in easily and pull back out easily.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you had to give the alignment bar "a good whack" to get it in, you are still way out of alignment.

I guess I took him to mean that he gave the alignment bar a good smack sideways to set the gimbal bearing. After the smack moved the bearing, then the alignment bar went in smoothly..... but it would be good to find out for sure.

Don S

I guess I took him to mean that he gave the alignment bar a good smack sideways to set the gimbal bearing.

I thought that too for a while, but when the drive won't go in, might as well find out for sure.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I took him to mean that he gave the alignment bar a good smack sideways to set the gimbal bearing. After the smack moved the bearing, then the alignment bar went in smoothly..... but it would be good to find out for sure.

fishermark you are correct a good smack sideways and the the alignment bar slides in an out with out much preasure

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you have the drive in forward when you took it off? Look under drive where the shift mates up.

yes i put it forward before i removed the out drive

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A couple of thoughts...

First, if your gimbal bearing was so stiff from lack of grease that it would not budge, then it is time to replace it, not just grease it.

Second - when you say the outdrive will not slide back on, what do you mean exactly? Is it just the last inch or so that is binding? If so, there is an o-ring on the drive shaft that needs to be lightly greased as well. It needs to go through the gimbal bearing. Even with grease, most drives will need a good swift kick to "slide" into place.

First it is a brand new bearing

second It is about the last in or so the bolts get in the out drive but not all the way thru so i can start the nets. If you are talking about the large o ring i have noticed it being a pain to get in so i was doing a dry fit with out the o ring at all so that isnt holding it up and I know i will need that in place before i finish the job. but i will try the hard kick to get it on thanks

Don S

Before you do that, if you put a lot of grease on the two oring, that could be your problem. A thin coat of grease or better yet some oil on them works better. The heavy grease can push under the orings and basically hold the oring up so high it will not go into the bearing. I you push hard enough, you will actually cut slices off the oring.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i have made some progress it seems the problem is at the bottom of the stern drive there is a small shaft thing sticking up that slides into a slot on the bottom of the bell housing (think that is what it is called) so my question now is how do i get them all to line up so it can go all the way on

Bondo

Staff member

First it is a brand new bearing

second It is about the last in or so the bolts get in the out drive but not all the way thru so i can start the nets. If you are talking about the large o ring i have noticed it being a pain to get in so i was doing a dry fit with out the o ring at all so that isnt holding it up and I know i will need that in place before i finish the job. but i will try the hard kick to get it on thanks

Ayuh,... IF everything is still in Forward, 'n lined up...
Ya might need to use a Merc Kick to push the o-ring into the gimbel bearing,...
And,...
While any grease is Better than no grease at all,...
Don's Right,... To much grease can be a Bad thing too...

edit;
ok i have made some progress it seems the problem is at the bottom of the stern drive there is a small shaft thing sticking up that slides into a slot on the bottom of the bell housing (think that is what it is called) so my question now is how do i get them all to line up so it can go all the way on
I did have the drive in forward and i quess i didnt read your whole answer but i beilve this is the problem the question now is how to correct it. I was gone 3 weeks and my 18 yr and his buddies where at the house they may have gotten in the boat and messed with it i need to see if it is still in forward

Shift the lower unit to Forward......
Then use a bungee strap on the prop to hold pressure on the shaft, so it STAYS in Forward...
Put the controller in Forward....

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i put it forward before i removed the out drive
I did have the drive in forward and i quess i didnt read your whole answer but i beilve this is the problem the question now is how to correct it. I was gone 3 weeks and my 18 yr and his buddies where at the house they may have gotten in the boat and messed with it i need to see if it is still in forward

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WoooHooo i finally got the damn thing to go on now i need to find a day to hookit up to the hose and check it for leaks. Thanks everyone for all you help