Oil Mix for a 66 33hp eveinrude?

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is it 50:1? What type oil would be the best to use? Is this a two or four cycle motor? Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Mix for a 66 33hp eveinrude?

If it is truely a 1966 33Hp, it is a 2 cycle motor. It is a 50::1 mix as well. Use a 2 cycle oil labeled as TCW-III. Mix 1 pint oil to 6 gal regular gasoline.

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice

50-1 gas to oil ratio. I've got a 33HP Ski-Twin from that same era and they are darn good motors. Used a tiller model I picked up at a garage sale to power a 20 Ft. duck boat on the great lakes for two years and it never missed a beat, much less let me down. I've got all late model motors now, but mothballed this one in the garage because I can't force myself to part with it.

Before you run it don't forget to change the lower unit gear lube.....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I don't remember how far back you had to run a quart of oil (motor oil) to 6 gallons of gas which was 24:1......maybe it was back in the 50's.

Anyhow, oils then weren't as sophistocated then as they are now and I just got to thinking that even though an engine may have been mfgr'd to run on 24:1 why couldn't one run on today's TCW-III at 50:1? Bet they can and do it nicely.

Case in point was McCulloch. Back in 64-65 time frame, they had a little red can of oil that was recommended for 100:1 mixing. They also had the regular 50:1 oil which you could run also. Both were designed for general usage, i.e. you could use either in a particular engine.

So what's the difference in the 2 mix ratio's? The oil. Rest my case.

Mark

Mark

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got the gear oil to change it. I plan on changing it out this weekend.

I ran a 1964 75hp evinrude (on ebay now) with 50:1 and didn't have a problem.

I got to figure out how to hook the motor wiring up. I got a shop manual for it and a parts book and a brand new tune up kit for $220. Also got the title and it is a true 1966 33hp.

Water impellor was changed year before last. Should I change it? I hate that this motor has no way to monitor temp or water pressure. Anyone know of a way to add it?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yeah. I did it before several times. I used the upper part of the water jacket over the exhaust as it was easy to get to in one instance. Take the cover(s) off and examine them before you start drilling holes. Some engines have a baffle between the outer cover and the water. If you have a baffle you will have to figure something else.....this will cost you a gasket or glue the old one back in with blue or black RTV.

If water is on the other side, just drill and tap a 1/8 pipe hole and put a 1/8 rt angle/5/16" hose barb in there. Drill a hole on the lower cowling on the drivers side and plumb a 5/16 hose from the barb thru the hole leaving about half inch sticking out. Drill the hole diameter so that the hose is a friction fit so that the hose will stay put when finished.

If that doesn't work I have drilled into the water jacket above #1 cylinder on a 3 cyl Johnny, the same way....didn't look first as I knew water was there....and it worked fine tool

If you make a mistake, you can always plug it with a pipe plug and if the threads are boogered up glue the plug in with metal impregnated expxy.

Good Luck,

Mark