oil for air-cooled outboard

huntandhook

Seaman
I recently purchased a boat that came with a 1967 Viking (Chrysler) 3.5 HP motor. The powerhead is air-cooled and I was wondering if is should use T3-WC oil (water cooled) or a premix oil for air cooled 2-stroke motors ie. chainsaw oil. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
H&H

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: oil for air-cooled outboard

Air cooled 2 strokes run at considerably higher temps than water cooled. That suggests a different oil.

Some will say that TC-W3 oil is acceptable. Others say that oil formulated for air cooled engines is the only thing to use.

Having destroyed a chainsaw engine while using TC-W3 I am on the side of using oil made for air cooled engines. I use Weedeater oil or Poulan chainsaw oil in my aircooled 2 stroke engines.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

While it appears that to at least 1989 air cooled instructions indicate quality outboard or 2 stroke oil with no specific air cooled specifics.
I think logic says use air cooled 2 stroke oil. There is a significant temp difference.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Use air-cooled...WalMart has enough at a price that anyone can handle.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

air cooled type oil without a dought. Had one of these Chrysler 3.5hp air cooled motor and it ran extremely hot when using tcw3 type oil. Air cooled oil is MADE FOR air cooled engine and vice versa.

Cheers

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Huntandhook:
Husky , sthil or duramax chainsaw mix oil are top quality oils and will be fine in your application. The rest of the boys are right. Mix oils burn off at different temps and are made for a specific type of motor. You should never use an oil that claims to be good for saws , lawn mowers, and out boards. Use the proper oil for each engine. Of course you might get away with it for awhile, but sooner or later it will get your wallet bigtime! In your air cooled 3.5 I would use a good 2 stroke lawnmower oil. Such as whats recommended for lawnboy.

Last edited: